Modern approaches to the invariant-subspace problem
- Isabelle Chalendar, Jonathan R. Partington.
- Cambridge ; New York : Cambridge University Press, 2011.
- Physical description
- xi, 285 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Cambridge tracts in mathematics ; 188.
Math & Statistics Library
|QA322.4 .C46 2011||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 269-279) and index.
- Introduction-- 1. Background-- 2. The operator-valued Poisson kernel and its applications-- 3. Properties (An, m) and factorization of integrable functions-- 4. Polynomially bounded operators with rich spectrum-- 5. Beurling algebras-- 6. Applications of a fixed-point theorem-- 7. Minimal vectors-- 8. Universal operators-- 9. Moment sequences and binomial sums-- 10. Positive and strictly-singular operators-- Bibliography-- Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781107010512 20160606
- Publisher's Summary
- One of the major unsolved problems in operator theory is the fifty-year-old invariant subspace problem, which asks whether every bounded linear operator on a Hilbert space has a nontrivial closed invariant subspace. This book presents some of the major results in the area, including many that were derived within the past few years and cannot be found in other books. Beginning with a preliminary chapter containing the necessary pure mathematical background, the authors present a variety of powerful techniques, including the use of the operator-valued Poisson kernel, various forms of the functional calculus, Hardy spaces, fixed point theorems, minimal vectors, universal operators and moment sequences. The subject is presented at a level accessible to postgraduate students, as well as established researchers. It will be of particular interest to those who study linear operators and also to those who work in other areas of pure mathematics.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781107010512 20160606
- Supplemental links
- Cover image
- Publication date
- Cambridge tracts in mathematics ; 188
- 9781107010512 (hardback)
- 1107010519 (hardback)
Browse related items
Start at call number: