Ghosts of No Child Left Behind
- Joanne M. Carris.
- New York : P. Lang, c2011.
- Physical description
- xii, 221 p. ; 24 cm.
- Counterpoints (New York, N.Y.) v. 361.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LC153 .N48 C37 2011||Unknown|
- Carris, Joanne M.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -218) and index.
- Publisher's Summary
- Ghosts of No Child Left Behind politically situates curriculum within a historically and critically informed context, to understand the structural forces that have contributed to the creation of a population of adolescents who read below a third grade level. The book then proposes a reconceptualization of literacy curriculum within a critical discourse to facilitate self-actualizing pedagogy for non-reading adolescents - some of whom are incarcerated. Rooted in a complex understanding of teaching, learning, and knowledge, this book presents information to policymakers, administrators, and educators that is vital to improving literacy instruction, curriculum, and policy. The information presented here can also inform the general public, especially parents, so that they may advocate for an educational infrastructure that promotes empowering literacy development for every student, including non-reading adolescents and younger struggling readers. This book is an unparalleled resource for teacher education courses focusing on literacy, critical pedagogy, policy, bilingual education, special education, and issues in urban education.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- United States. No Child Left Behind Act of 2001.
- Literacy > Social aspects > New York (State) > New York > Case studies.
- Language arts (Secondary) > New York (State) > New York > Case studies.
- Reading > Remedial teaching > New York (State) > New York > Case studies.
- Youth with social disabilities > Education > New York (State) > New York > Case studies.
- Educational accountability > United States.
- Publication date
- Counterpoints: studies in the postmodern theory of education ; v. 361
- 9781433105470 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 1433105470 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 9781433105487 (hardback : alk. paper)
- 1433105489 (hardback : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: