Content area reading and writing : fostering literacies in middle and high school cultures
- Norman Unrau.
- Upper Saddle River, N.J. : Pearson/Merrill/Prentice Hall, c2004.
- Physical description
- xviii, 458 p. : ill. ; 25 cm.
At the library
SAL3 (off-campus storage)
Stacks Request (opens in new tab)
|LB1631 .U57 2004||Available|
- Unrau, Norman.
- Includes bibliographical references and indexes.
- 1. Engaging Cultures and Literacies for Learning.
- 2. Readers Reading: Inside the Meaning Construction Zone.
- 3. Assessing Readers and Their Texts.
- 4. Vocabulary and Concept Development in the Content Areas.
- 5. Strategies to Enhance Comprehension.
- 6. Collaborating for Literacy and Learning: Group Strategies.
- 7. Critical Reading.
- 8. Writing to Assess, Promote, and Observe Learning.
- 9. Struggling Readers and English Learners: Addressing their Cognitive and Cultural Needs.
- 10. Focusing on Motivation to Read Content Area Texts.
- 11. Designing Literacy into Academically Diverse Content Area Classes: Aligning Standards with Strategies and Assessments.
- 12. Teacher to Teacher: Fostering Literacy and Reflective Practice.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's summary
For content area reading and literacy development in middle and high school courses. Through this strategy-driven, theory-based text, content-area teachers gain a thorough understanding of the fundamental role that reading and writing play in content-area learning. Unique to this text is the attention paid to helping teachers understand how the high school cultures students belong to affect their view of literacy and learning. The author effectively guides readers to ways they can identify and address school cultures and make literacy in content learning, relevant to students. The author offers step-by-step approaches to gauge student literacy, build vocabulary, and implement instruction that improves comprehension, encourages critical reading, supports writing for learning, and facilitates collaboration for literacy development.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
Browse related items
Start at call number: