"To serve a larger purpose" : engagement for democracy and the transformation of higher education
- edited by John Saltmarsh and Matthew Hartley.
- Philadelphia : Temple University Press, 2011.
- Physical description
- xiv, 312 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LA227.4 .T6 2011||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Foreword by David Mathews-- Introduction: "To Serve a Larger Purpose" / John Saltmarsh and Matthew Hartley-- Chapter 1: Democratic Engagement / John Saltmarsh and Matthew Hartley-- Chapter 2: Contested Ideals: Tracing the Trajectory of the Civic Engagement Movement / Matthew Hartley-- Chapter 3: Democratic Transformation Through University Assisted Community Schools / Ira Harkavy , John Puckett, and Lee Benson-- Chapter 4: Civic Professionalism / Harry Boyte and Eric Fretz-- Chapter 5: Leadership for Engagement: Reclaiming the Public Purpose of Higher Education / William Plater-- Chapter 6: Chief Academic Officers and Community-Engaged Faculty Work / John Pressley.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- "To Serve a Larger Purpose" calls for the reclamation of the original democratic purposes of civic engagement and examines the requisite transformation of higher education required to achieve it. The contributors to this timely and relevant volume effectively highlight the current practice of civic engagement and point to the institutional change needed to realize its democratic ideals. Using multiple perspectives, "To Serve a Larger Purpose" explores the democratic processes and purposes that reorient civic engagement to what the editors call "democratic engagement." The norms of democratic engagement are determined by values such as inclusiveness, collaboration, participation, task sharing, and reciprocity in public problem solving and an equality of respect for the knowledge and experience that everyone contributes to education, knowledge generation, and community building. This book shrewdly rethinks the culture of higher education.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- 9781439905067 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 1439905061 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 9781439905081 (e-book)
- 1439905088 (e-book)
Browse related items
Start at call number: