Knowledge matters : the public mission of the research university
- edited by Diana Rhoten and Craig Calhoun.
- New York : Columbia University Press, c2011.
- Physical description
- xvi, 539 p. : ill. ; 25 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB2326.3 .K63 2011||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- The public mission of the research university / Craig Calhoun
- Great expectations, past promises, and golden ages: rethinking the "crisis" of public research universities / Gustavo E. Fischman, Sarah E. Igo, Diana Rhoten
- "El central volumen de la fuerza": global hegemony in higher education and research / Simon Marginson, Imanol Ordorika
- The state, the university, and society in Soviet and Russian higher education: the search for a new public mission / Mark S. Johnson, Andrey V. Kortunov
- Public research universities in Latin America and their relation to economic development / Juan Carlos Moreno-Brid, Pablo Ruiz-Nápoles
- When neoliberalism colonizes higher education in Asia: bringing the "public" back to the contemporary university / Ka Ho Mok
- Challenges for higher education in Africa, Ubuntu, and democratic justice / Yusef Waghid
- The idea of the public university and the national project in Africa: toward a full circle, from the 1960s to the present / N'Dri T. Assié-Lumumba, Tukumbi Lumumba-Kasongo
- Rethinking what is made public in the university's public mission / John Willinsky
- Public research universities: from land grant to federal grant to patent grant institutions / Diana Rhoten, Walter Powell
- German universities in the new knowledge ecology: current changes in research conditions and university-industry relations / Stefan Lange, Georg Krücken
- The micropolitics of knowledge in England and Europe: the Cambridge University IPRs controversy and its macropolitical lessons / Voldemar Tomusk
- Playing the quality game: whose quality and whose higher education? / John Brennan, Mala Singh
- The academic workplace: what we already know, what we still do not know, and what we would like to know / Christine Musselin
- Cultural formations of the public university: globalization, diversity, and the state at the University of Michigan / Michael D. Kennedy.
- Publisher's Summary
- Everyone from parents to policymakers has an interest in the mission of higher education, yet in many cases, the shifting relationship between public and private goods and public and private purposes has complicated that mission. Recent changes in organization, funding, and assessment have also altered the public purpose of universities. In this collection, scholars from around the world confront the realities of higher education and the future of its public and private agenda. Their perspective illuminates the trajectory of education in the twenty-first century and the continuing importance of the university's public mission. Reporting from Asia, Africa, Europe, Latin America, and North America, scholars confront the realities of higher education and the future of its public and private agenda. Their perspective illuminates the trajectory of education in the twenty-first century and the continuing importance of the university's public mission. Contributors focus on the research university and its effort to create new knowledge. They examine the implications of different administrative and policy decisions and the significance of various approaches to assessment and evaluation. Essays track the shifting relationship between public and private goods and purposes, such as whether student access should award individual achievement or function as an investment in social contribution, or whether scientific research should be treated as private intellectual property or as an open-access resource. Is it right for a university to serve the economic interests of private corporations, and if so, what are the limits of beneficiary pay? Instead of reducing these questions to elements of good and bad, this anthology empirically assesses how they play out in practice and sets a new standard for research on global institutional policy.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- "A Columbia/SSRC Book."
- 9780231151146 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 0231151144 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 9780231521833 (ebook)
- 0231521839 (ebook)
Browse related items
Start at call number: