Handbook on globalization and higher education
- Cheltenham, UK ; Northampton, MA : Edward Elgar, c2011.
- Physical description
- xviii, 541 p. : ill. ; 25 cm.
LB2324 .H36 2011
- Unknown LB2324 .H36 2011
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Contents: PART I: GENERIC 1. Introduction to Part I Simon Marginson 2. Imagining the Global Simon Marginson 3. Rethinking Development: Higher Education and the New Imperialism Rajani Naidoo 4. The University as a Global Institution Peter Scott 5. Three Forms of the Knowledge Economy: Learning, Creativity and Openness Michael A. Peters 6. Global Institutions: The OECD Marijk van der Wende 7. Extra-national Provision Chris Ziguras 8. Global Institutions, Higher Education and Development Yann Lebeau and Ebrima Sall 9. Globalization, Higher Education and Inequalities: Problems and Prospects Vincent Carpentier and Elaine Unterhalter PART II: CASE STUDIES 10. Introduction to Part II Rajani Naidoo 11. Regional Responses to Globalization Challenges: The Assertion of Soft Power and Changing University Governance in Singapore, Hong Kong and Malaysia Ka Ho Mok 12. Global Toolboxes, Local Toolmaking: The Contradictions of External Evaluation in South African Higher Education Mala Singh 13. Globalization and Higher Education in Canada Glen A. Jones and Julian Weinrib 14. Globalization, Internationalization and the World-class University Movement: The China Experience Mei Li and Qiongqiong Chen 15. Europe, Higher Education and the Process of Integration Jussi Valimaa 16. Neoliberal Globalization and Higher Education Policy in India Sangeeta Kamat 17. Globalization and Higher Education in Korea: Towards Ethnocentric Internationalization or Global Commercialization of Higher Education? Terri Kim 18. The Invisible Topics of the Public Higher Education Agenda in Argentina Marcela Mollis 19. Globalization, a Knowledge-based Regime and Higher Education: Where do Mexican Universities Stand? Alma Maldonado-Maldonado 20. Globalization in the United States: The Case of California William G. Tierney 21. The Strange Death of the Liberal University: Research Assessments and the Impact of Research Mark Olssen PART III: GLOBAL GOVERNANCE 22. Introduction to Part III Roger King 23. Strategizing and Ordering the Global Simon Marginson 24. Governing Knowledge Globally: Science, Structuration and the Open Society Roger King 25. Governing Quality David A. Dill 26. Convergences and Divergences in Steering Higher Education Systems Christine Musselin 27. The Bologna Process: From the National to the Regional to the Global, and Back Jurgen Enders and Don Westerheijden 28. The Standardization of Higher Education, Positional Competition and the Global Labor Market Hugh Lauder and Phillip Brown 29. Measuring World-class Excellence and the Global Obsession with Rankings Ellen Hazelkorn.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Higher education has entered centre-stage in the context of the knowledge economy and has been deployed in the search for economic competitiveness and social development. Against this backdrop, this highly illuminating Handbook explores worldwide convergences and divergences in national higher education systems resulting from increased global co-operation and competition. The expert contributors reveal the strategies, practices and governance mechanisms developed by international and regional organisations, national governments and by higher education institutions themselves. They analyse local responses to dominant global templates of higher education and the consequences for knowledge generation, social equity, economic development and the public good. This comprehensive and accessible Handbook will prove an invaluable reference tool for researchers, academics and students with an interest in higher education from economics, international studies and public policy perspectives, as well as for higher education policymakers, and funding and governance bodies.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- edited by Roger King, Simon Marginson, Rajani Naidoo.
- 9781848445857 (hbk.)
- 1848445857 (hbk.)