Spotlighting the strengths of every single student : why U.S. schools need a new, strengths-based approach
- Elsie Jones-Smith.
- Santa Barbara, Calif. : Praeger, c2011.
- Physical description
- xiv, 285 p. : ill. ; 25 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
LB1031 .J63 2011
- Unknown LB1031 .J63 2011
- Jones-Smith, Elsie.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Emergence, growth and current uses of strengths-based educational systems
- The strengths mindset: understanding the nature of strengths
- Brain development, emotion, and learning
- The strengths-based school's component 1: a strengths-building pyramid
- Component 2: improving instruction, the academic curriculum
- Component 3: caring and empathic classrooms
- Component 4: preventing failure
- Component 5: increasing home, school, and community partnerships
- Assuring teachers understand their own strengths
- Creating and communicating a strengths-based school vision: getting involved.
- Publisher's Summary
- It's a familiar and seemingly logical model: to improve performance, identify weaknesses and target these problem areas. Could doing the opposite be a better way? Licensed clinical psychologist Elsie Jones-Smith argues that strengths-based systems are indeed more effective-not just in social work, where the philosophy became popular; or in the business world, where the concept is increasingly being embraced-but in the academic setting as well. Spotlighting the Strengths of Every Single Student: Why U.S. Schools Need a New, Strengths-Based Approach explains how and why a system that focuses on students' strengths enables kids to be self-confident, goal-directed, and to possess a stronger sense of self-efficacy, self-control, and academic achievement. Jones-Smith also explains how such a system spurs appreciation and advancement of multiple intelligences, which in turn gives students the ability to address weaknesses-on their own. Another plus: this approach has also been shown to generally reduce school disciplinary actions and increase class attendance time.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- 9780313391538 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 031339153X (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 9780313391545 (ebook)
- 0313391548 (ebook)