The Sage handbook for research in education : pursuing ideas as the keystone of exemplary inquiry
- edited by Clifton F. Conrad, Ronald C. Serlin.
- 2nd ed.
- Thousand Oaks, Calif. : SAGE Publications, c2011.
- Physical description
- xi, 512 p. : ill. ; 27 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB1028 .S14 2011||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Preface Acknowledgements Introduction Part One. Exploring Ideas: Embracing Inquiry and the Craft of Framing Meaningful Problems Section I: Exploring the Multiple Purposes of Inquiry and Key Stakeholders - D.C. Phillips Chapter 1: Muddying the Waters Even More: The Many Faces of Empirical Educational Inquiry - D.C. Phillips Chapter 2. Speaking Truth to Policy and Practice - Robert E. Floden Chapter 3. Minding the Gap Between Research and Policy Making - David N. Plank Section II: Formulating Meaningful Problems - Daniel K. Lapsley Chapter 4. Developing and Framing Meaningful Problems - Daniel K. Lapsley Chapter 5. Inquiry Through a Keyhole: Retroduction - Ronald C. Serlin Chapter 6. Reviewing Literature and Formulating Problems - Carolyn Kelley Chapter 7. The Challenge of Framing a Problem: What is Your Burning Question? - Susan Harter Chapter 8. Developing and Nurturing Interesting and Researchable Ideas - Kathryn R. Wentzel Chapter 9. Situating Ourselves and Our Inquiry: A First-Person Account - James Youniss Part Two. Pursuing and Sharing Ideas: The Design and Conduct of Inquiry and the Communication of Results Section III: Opportunities and Challenges in Designing and Conducting Inquiry - Ronald C. Serlin Chapter 10. Research Design in Qualitative/Quantitative/Mixed Methods - Michael R. Harwell Chapter 11. Intellect, Light, and Shadow in Research Design - John P. Bean Chapter 12. Comparative Education: An Approach to Educational Inquiry - David Phillips Chapter 13. Conceptualizing and Conducting Meaningful Research Studies in Education - Ronald H. Heck Chapter 14. Constructing Data - Kadriye Ercikan and Wolff-Michael Roth Chapter 15. Constructing Analyses: The Development of Thoughtfulness in Working With Quantitative Methods - Michael Seltzer and Mike Rose Chapter 16. Approaching Rigor in Applied Qualitative Research - J. Douglas Toma Chapter 17. Constructing Conclusions - King D Beach, III, Betsy Jane Becker, and Mary M. Kennedy Chapter 18. Windows of Possibility: Perspectives on the Construction of Educational Researchers - Anna Neumann and Aaron M. Pallas Chapter 19. Education as Design for Learning: A Model for Integrating Education Inquiry Across Research Traditions - Richard Halverson and Erica Rosenfeld Halverson Section IV: Writing, Voicing, and Disseminating Research - Elizabeth Graue Chapter 20. Cultivating Idea-Centric Writing in Our Teaching of Writing - Laura A. Dunek and Clifton F. Conrad Chapter 21. Writing in Education Research - Elizabeth Graue Chapter 22: Experimenting With Voice and Reflexivity to Produce Multi-Voiced Texts - Elizabeth G. Creamer Chapter 23. Getting the Word Out: Challenges and Opportunities in Explaining Educational Research to the World - Gerald W. Bracey Part Three. Engaging Ideas: Reflections of Scholars Section V: Reflections on Critical Incidents in Exemplary Inquiry - Elfrieda H. Hiebert Chapter 24. Using Historical Methods to Explore Educational Questions - Marybeth Gasman Chapter 25. Texts for Beginning Readers: The Search for Optimal Scaffolds - Elfrieda H. Hiebert Chapter 26. Conducting Research on Leadership and Change in Education - Karen Seashore Louis Chapter 27. College Access and Educational Research: Persistent Problems and New Perspectives - Ryan Evely Gildersleeve and Patricia M. McDonough Chapter 28. The Arc of Research - William G. Tierney Index About the Editors About the Section Editors About the Contributors.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781412980005 20160606
- Publisher's Summary
- The SAGE Handbook for Research in Education stimulates and encourages students, faculty, and educational practitioners, including individuals in education, government, and the private sector who conduct applied and policy-oriented educational research, to place the pursuit of ideas at the epicentre of their research-from framing meaningful problems to identifying and addressing key challenges to the reporting and dissemination of their findings. As well as supporting readers to place the pursuit of ideas as the keystone of exemplary inquiry, the Handbook draws on the perspectives of scholars representing diverse fields within the field of education-from pre-kindergarten to elementary and secondary school to higher education-as well as qualitative, quantitative, and mixed-methods approaches to inquiry. The chapters are punctuated throughout by the voices of authors who wrestle with the formidable challenges of framing and conducting and reporting meaningful inquiry. New to the Second Edition: -The Handbook has been re-conceptualized into three parts: Part One.Exploring Ideas: Embracing Inquiry and the Craft of Framing Meaningful Problems; Part Two, Pursuing and Sharing Ideas: The Design and Conduct of Inquiry and the Communication of Results; and Part Three, Engaging Ideas: Reflections of Scholars. -Section II has been completely revised to include new chapters focused on formulating meaningful problems. -Eleven new chapters have been added on the following topics: developing and framing meaningful problems; reviewing literature and formulating problems; research design in qualitative/quantitative/mixed methods; integrating education inquiry across research traditions; writing, voicing, and disseminating research; using historical methods; appropriate scaffolds for new researchers; conducting research on leadership and change in education; and the arc of research. -Chapters by the following scholars have been added: Laura Dunek, Marybeth Gasman, Michael R. Harwell, Erica Rosenfield Halverson, Richard Halverson, Elfrieda H. Hiebert, Carolyn Kelly, Karen Seashore Louis, Ronald C. Serlin, and William G. Tierney.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781412980005 20160606
- Publication date
- Title Variation
- Research in education
- 9781412980005 (cloth)
- 1412980003 (cloth)
Browse related items
Start at call number: