Police in the hallways : discipline in an urban high school
- Kathleen Nolan ; foreword by Paul Willis.
- Minneapolis : University of Minnesota Press, c2011.
- Physical description
- xii, 209 p. ; 23 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB3012.2 .N65 2011||Unknown|
- Nolan, Kathleen.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 195-202) and index.
- Introduction: studying urban school discipline: a Bronx tale
- How the police took over school discipline: from policies of inclusion to punishment and exclusion
- Signs of the times: place, culture, and control at urban public high school
- Instituting the culture of control: disciplinary practices and order maintenance
- Against the law: student noncompliance and contestation
- Tensions between educational approaches and discourses of control
- The underlife: oppositional behavior at urban public high school
- Living proof: experiences of economic and educational exclusion
- Conclusion: recommendations for effective urban schooling and sound discipline.
- Publication date
- 9780816675524 (hc : alk. paper)
- 081667552X (hc : alk. paper)
- 9780816675531 (pb : alk. paper)
- 0816675538 (pb : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: