The turnaround mindset : aligning leadership for student success
- Fairchild, Tierney Temple, 1967-
- Lanham, Md. : Rowman & Littlefield Education, c2011.
- Physical description
- xv, 266 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
LB2822.82 .F35 2011
- Unknown LB2822.82 .F35 2011
- DeMary, Jo Lynne, 1946-
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 253-264) and index.
- Chapter 1 Foreword: U.S. Sen. Mark R. Warner, former Governor of the Commonwealth of Virginia Chapter 2 Introduction Part 3 Section I: Engaging in School Turnarounds Chapter 4 Chapter 1: The National Landscape Chapter 5 Chapter 2: Approaches to Turnaround Chapter 6 Chapter 3: Understanding Turnarounds: Research Highlights Part 7 Section II: A Critical Path to School Turnarounds Chapter 8 Chapter 4: Approaching Turnarounds with a 2S Model: Systems and Stakeholders Chapter 9 Chapter 5: The 3Es of School Turnarounds: Environment, Executive, and Execution Chapter 10 Chapter 6: Leveraging Management Tools Part 11 Section III: Turnaround Leadership in Action Chapter 12 Chapter 7: Consistency and Compassion in the Face of Chaos Chapter 13 Ms. Aretha Eldridge-Williams at Kate Middleton Elementary School (Gretna, LA) Chapter 14 Chapter 8: Systems, Structures and A Spatula: Building a Community of Scholars Chapter 15 Ms. Camille Wallin at P.S. 42-Claremont Community School (Bronx, NY) Chapter 16 Chapter 9: Walking in a Turnaround Leader's Shoes: Believing is Achieving Chapter 17 Ms. J. Harrison Coleman at Fred M. Lynn Middle School (Woodbridge, VA) Chapter 18 Chapter 10: Inspiring Success through Student and Teacher Empowerment Chapter 19 Ms. Tanya John at the High School for Violin and Dance (Bronx, NY) Part 20 Section IV: Policy Essentials for Turnaround Leaders Chapter 21 Chapter 11: Policy Imperatives to Bring Turnarounds to Scale.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- This book provides a valuable balance between what one must know and what one must do to turn around low-performing schools. The 3-E framework simplifies this complex process by focusing resources on the environment, the executive, and the execution of the turnaround plan. Central to each of these components is a spotlight on the values supporting change and an examination of the unique perspectives and actions required at the school, district and state levels in renewing chronically underperforming schools. A set of case studies on individuals who have led successful turnarounds of schools gives life to the theoretical concepts. These cases focus on the principal as turnaround specialist, offering leadership profiles from their varied perspectives and demonstrate the resilience of these leaders across settings and challenges. The book concludes with a discussion of how the developing field of school turnarounds affects educational policy in the K-12 and higher education arenas.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Tierney Temple Fairchild, Jo Lynne DeMary ; foreword by Mark R. Warner.
- 9781607090434 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 1607090430 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 9781607090441 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 1607090449 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 9781607090458 (ebk.)
- 1607090457 (ebk.)