Handbook of biodegradable polymers [electronic resource] : synthesis, characterization and applications
- edited by Andreas Lendlein and Adam Sisson.
- Weinheim : Wiley-VCH, c2011.
- Physical description
- 1 online resource (xx, 405 p.) : ill. (some col.)
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Preface POLYESTERS Historical Background Preparative Methods Physical Properties Degradation Mechanisms Beyond Classical Poly(Hydroxycarboxylic Acids) BIOTECHNOLOGICALLY PRODUCED BIODEGRADABLE POLYESTERS Introduction History Polyhydroxyalkanoates - Granules Morphology Biosynthesis and Biodegradability of Poly(3-Hydroxybutyrate) and Other Polyhydroxyalkanoates Extraction and Recovery Physical, Mechanical, and Thermal Properties of Polyhydroxyalkanoates Future Directions POLYANHYDRIDES Introduction Types of Polyanhydride Synthesis Properties In Vitro Degradation and Erosion of Polyanhydrides In Vivo Degradation and Elimination of Polyanhydrides Toxicological Aspects of Polyanhydrides Fabrication of Delivery Systems Production and World Market Biomedical Applications POLY(ORTHO ESTERS) Introduction poe II poe IV Solid Polymers Gel-Like Materials Polymers Based on an Alternate Diketene Acetal Conclusions BIODEGRADABLE POLYMERS CMPOSED OF NATURALLY OCCURRING ALPHA-AMINO ACIDS Introduction Amino Acid-Based Biodegradable Polymers AABBPs) Conclusion and Perspectives BIODEGRADABLE POLYURETHANES AND POLY(ESTER AMIDE)S Chemistry and Properties of Biodegradable Polyurethanes Biodegradation Mechanisms of Polyurethanes New Polymerization Trends to Obtain Degradable Polyurethanes Aliphatic Poly(ester amide)s: A Family of Biodegradable Thermoplastics with Interest as New Biomaterials CARBOHYDRATES Introduction Alginate Carrageenan Cellulose and Its Derivatives Microbial Cellulose Chitin and Chitosan Dextran Gellan Guar Gum Hyaluronic Acid (Hyaluronan) Puululan Scleroglucan Xanthan Summary BIODEGRADABLE SHAPE-MEMORY POLYMERS Introduction General Concept of SMPs Classes of Degradable SMPs Applications of Biodegradable SMPs BIODEGRADABLE ELASTIC HYDROGELS FOR TISSUE EXPANDER APPLICATION Introduction Synthesis of Elastic Hydrogels Physical Properties of Elastic Hydrogels Applications of Elastic Hydrogels Elastic Hydrogels for Tissue Expander Applications BIODEGRADABLE DENDRIMERS AND DENDRITIC POLYMERS Introduction Challenges for Designing Biodegradable Dendrimers Design of Self-Immolative Biodegradable Dendrimers Biological Implications of Biodegradable Dendrimers Future Perspectives of Biodegradable Dendrimers Concluding Remarks ANALYTICAL METHODS FOR MONITORING BIODEGRADATION PROCESSES OF ENVIRONMENTALLY DEGRADABLE POLYMERS Introduction Some Background Defining Biodegradability Mechanisms of Polymer Degradation Measuring Biodegradation of Polymers Conclusions MODELING AND SIMULATION OF MICROBIAL DEPOLYMERIZATION PROCESSES OF XENOBIOTIC POLYMERS Introduction Analysis of Exogeneous Depolymerization Materials and Methods Analysis of Endogenous Depolymerization Discussion REGENERATIVE MEDICINE: RECONSTRUCTION OF TRACHEAL AND PHARYNGEAL MUCOSAL DEFECTS IN HEAD AND NECK SURGERY Introduction Regenerative Medicine for the Reconstruction of the Upper Aerodigestive Tract Methods and Novel Therapeutical Options in Head and Neck Surgery Vascularization of Tissue-Engineered Constructs Application of Stem Cells in Regenerative Medicine Conclusion BIODEGRADABLE POLYMERS AS SCAFFOLDS FOR TISSUE ENGINEERING Introduction Short Overview of Regenerative Biology Minimum Requirements for Tissue Engineering Structure of Scaffolds Biodegradable Polymers for Tissue Engineering Some Examples for Clinical Application of Scaffold Conclusions DRUG DELIVERY SYSTEMS Introduction The Clinical Need for Drug Delivery Systems Poly(Alpha-Hydroxyl Acids) Polyanhydrides Manufacturing Routes Examples of Biodegradable Polymer Drug Delivery Systems Under Development Concluding Remarks OXO-BIODEGRADABLE POLYMERS: PRESENT STATUS AND FUTURE PERSPECTIVES Introduction Controlled-Lifetime Plastics The Abiotic Oxidation of Polyolefins Enhanced Oxo-Biodegradation of Polyolefins Processability and Recovery of Oxo-Biodegradable Polyolefins Concluding Remarks.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- A comprehensive overview of biodegradable polymers, covering everything from synthesis, characterization, and degradation mechanisms while also introducing useful applications, such as drug delivery systems and biomaterial-based regenerative therapies. An introductory section deals with such fundamentals as basic chemical reactions during degradation, the complexity of biological environments and experimental methods for monitoring degradation processes. The result is a reliable reference source for those wanting to learn more about this important class of polymer materials, as well as scientists in the field seeking a deeper insight.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)