Devotion by design : Italian altarpieces before 1500
- Scott Nethersole.
- London : National Gallery Co. ; [New Haven, Conn.] : Distributed by Yale University Press, 2011.
- Physical description
- 128 p. : col. ill. ; 28 cm.
Art & Architecture Library (Bowes)
|ND1432 .I8 N48 2011||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 122-123).
- Publisher's Summary
- Museum visitors today usually see pre-16th-century Italian painted altarpieces exhibited alone, as single paintings. Yet this beautiful catalogue shows that these works were once part of decorative, integrated schemes, and the original experience for viewers of the paintings was significantly different from our own. Focusing on Italian altarpieces from the second half of the 13th century to the very end of the 15th, the book investigates the original functions and locations of altarpieces as well as the circumstances of their dislocations, dismantlings, and reconstructions. Regional variations are also analyzed, and the author examines altarpieces' formal and typological development, taking into account the wealth of related scholarship undertaken in the past thirty years.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781857095258 20160606
- National Gallery (Great Britain) > Exhibitions.
- Altarpieces, Italian > 14th century > Exhibitions.
- Altarpieces, Italian > 15th century > Exhibitions.
- Panel painting, Italian > 14th century > Exhibitions.
- Panel painting, Italian > 15th century > Exhibitions.
- Polyptychs > Italy > Exhibitions.
- Christianity and art > Catholic Church > Exhibitions.
- Panel painting > England > London > Exhibitions.
- Publication date
- Title Variation
- Italian altarpieces before 1500
- Published on the occasion of an exhibition of works chiefly from the collection of the National Gallery, London, held there, July 6-Oct. 2, 2011.
- 9781857095258 (hbk.)
- 1857095251 (hbk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: