Paradise redefined : transnational Chinese students and the quest for flexible citizenship in the developed world
- Fong, Vanessa L., 1974- author.
- Stanford, California : Stanford University Press, ©2011.
- Physical description
- viii, 267 pages ; 23 cm.
LB2376.6 .C6 F66 2011
- Unknown LB2376.6 .C6 F66 2011
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Is the moon rounder abroad? : how Chinese citizens see the world
- Choosing the road less traveled : how and why Chinese citizens decide to study abroad
- The floating life : dilemmas of education, work, and marriage abroad
- When migrants from the same hometown meet, tears fill their eyes : freedoms won and lost through transnational migration
- The road home : decisions about returning to China or staying abroad.
- Publisher's Summary
- In 2004, Vanessa Fong offered a groundbreaking ethnographic exploration of the social, economic, and psychological development of children born since China's one-child policy was introduced in 1979. Her book Only Hope left readers with a picture of stressed, ambitious adolescents for whom elite status was the ultimate goal, though relatively few were in a position to achieve it. In Paradise Redefined, Fong tracks the experiences of many in her initial cohort of Chinese only-children - now college-age - as they study abroad in Australia, Europe, Japan, New Zealand, North America, and Singapore. While earning a prestigious college education in China is the main path to elite status, study abroad provides an alternative channel by offering a particularly flexible "developed world" citizenship. This flexible citizenship promises the potential for greater happiness and freedom afforded by transnational mobility, but also brings with it unexpected suffering, ambivalence, and disappointment. Paradise Redefined offers insights into China's globalization by examining the expectations and experiences that affect how various Chinese students make decisions about studying abroad, staying abroad, immigration, and returning home.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Vanessa L. Fong.
- 9780804772662 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 0804772665 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 9780804772679 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 0804772673 (pbk. : alk. paper)