Theories of probability : an examination of logical and qualitative foundations
- Louis Narens.
- New Jersey : World Scientific, c2007.
- Physical description
- ix, 219 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Advanced series on mathematical psychology ; v. 2.
- Narens, Louis.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 207-212) and index.
- Elementary Concepts-- Kolmogorov Probability Theory-- Infinitesimals-- Qualitative Probability-- Qualitative Utility-- Axioms for Choice Proportions-- Conditional Belief-- Lattices-- Belief for Scientific Events and Refutations-- The Psychology of Human Probability Judgments-- Metamathematical Considerations.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9789812708014 20160606
- Publisher's Summary
- Standard probability theory has been an enormously successful contribution to modern science. However, from many perspectives it is too narrow as a general theory of uncertainty, particularly for issues involving subjective uncertainty. This first-of-its-kind book is primarily based on qualitative approaches to probabilistic-like uncertainty, and includes qualitative theories for the standard theory as well as several of its generalizations. One of these generalizations produces a belief function composed of two functions: a probability function that measures the probabilistic strength of an uncertain event, and another function that measures the amount of ambiguity or vagueness of the event.Another unique approach of the book is to change the event space from a boolean algebra, which is closely linked to classical propositional logic, to a different event algebra that is closely linked to a well-studied generalization of classical propositional logic known as intuitionistic logic. Together, these new qualitative theories succeed where the standard probability theory fails by accounting for a number of puzzling empirical findings in the psychology of human probability judgments and decision making.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9789812708014 20160606
- Supplemental links
- Table of contents only
- Publication date
- Advanced series on mathematical psychology ; v. 2
- 9789812708014 (hbk.)
- 9812708014 (hbk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: