Null curves and hypersurfaces of semi-Riemannian manifolds
- Krishan L. Duggal, Dae Ho Jin.
- New Jersey : World Scientific, 2007.
- Physical description
- viii, 293 p. ; 26 cm.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 281-287) and index.
- The Concept of Null Curves-- Null Curves in Lorentzian Manifolds-- Null Curves in Semi-Riemannian Manifolds-- Geometry of Null Cartan Curves (Unique Existence Theorems)-- Applications: Null Soliton Solutions in 3D and 4D-- Mechanical Systems and 3D Null Curves-- Lightlike Hypersurfaces-- Geometry and Physics of Null Geodesics.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9789812706478 20160606
- Publisher's Summary
- This is a first textbook that is entirely focused on the up-to-date developments of null curves with their applications to science and engineering. It fills an important gap in a second-level course in differential geometry, as well as being essential for a core undergraduate course on Riemannian curves and surfaces. The sequence of chapters is arranged to provide in-depth understanding of a chapter and stimulate further interest in the next. The book comprises a large variety of solved examples and rigorous exercises that range from elementary to higher levels. This unique volume is self-contained and unified in presenting: a systematic account of all possible null curves, their Frenet equations, unique null Cartan curves in Lorentzian manifolds and their practical problems in science and engineering; and, the geometric and physical significance of null geodesics, mechanical systems involving curvature of null curves, simple variation problems and the interrelation of null curves with hypersurfaces.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9789812706478 20160606
- Publication date
- 9789812706478 (hbk.)
- 981270647X (hbk.)
Acquired with support from
Browse related items
Start at call number: