Changing schools from the inside out : small wins in hard times
- Robert L. Larson.
- 3rd ed.
- Lanham, Md. : Rowman & Littlefield Education, c2011.
- Physical description
- xvii, 237 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LA222 .L37 2011||Unknown|
- Larson, Robert L.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 205-223) and index.
- Chapter 1 Acknowledgments Chapter 2 Foreword by George Voland Chapter 3 Preface Chapter 4 INTRODUCTION Chapter 5 1. THE CURRENT CONTEXT FOR SCHOOL IMPROVEMENT Chapter 6 2. WHAT RESEARCH AND PRACTICE TEACH US ABOUT CHANGE Chapter 7 3. SCHOOLS AS ORGANIZATIONS Chapter 8 4. Bromley and Mansfield: Two Case Studies Chapter 9 5. GOOD SCHOOLS AND SMALL-SCALE CHANGE Chapter 10 6. MAGNIFYING THE INNOVATION MAP Chapter 11 7. THE POTENTIAL OF SMALL WINS AND RELATED STRATEGIES Chapter 12 8. LEVERS AND FOOTING FOR CHANGE Chapter 13 CONCLUDING COMMENTS Chapter 14 Bibliography Chapter 15 Index Chapter 16 About the Author.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- At any time, public schools labor under great economic, political, and social pressures that make it difficult to create large-scale, 'whole school' change. But current top-down mandates require that schools close achievement gaps while teaching more problem solving, inquiry, and research skills_with fewer resources. Failure to meet test-based standards can produce consequences such as school closure or staff replacement. With this real-world challenge to education foremost, this book presents pertinent research and instructive case studies of two 'good' high schools. It advocates a proven strategy of small-scale, incremental change_small wins_which increases the likelihood that schools will improve despite a climate of 'do more with less.' Chapters describe the current societal context; the history of major change projects since the 1970s; the organizational and social characteristics of schools and classrooms; human factors that encourage and support improvement; the effects of technology; forces affecting teachers and principals; commonplace components of and vehicles for change; and practical 'levers and footings' for change that can have a high positive payoff.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- 9781607095279 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 1607095270 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 9781607095286 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 1607095289 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 9781607095293 (ebk.)
- 1607095297 (ebk.)
Acquired with support from
Browse related items
Start at call number: