Arthur L Bowley : a pioneer in modern statistics and economics
- Andrew I. Dale, Samuel Kotz.
- Hackensack, N.J. : World Scientific, c2011.
- Physical description
- xv, 525 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
Math & Statistics Library
|QA276.16 .D35 2011||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 467-515) and index.
- Biography and Scientific Activities of A L Bowley-- Statistical Papers and Books-- Economic Papers and Books-- A L Bowley's Everlasting Effect.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9789812835505 20160605
- Publisher's Summary
- Arthur Lyon Bowley, the founding father of modern statistics, was an important and colorful figure and a leader in cementing the foundations of statistical methodology, including survey methodology, and of the applications of statistics to economical and social issues during the late 19th and early 20th centuries. In many respects, he was ahead of his time.The giants in this field around that time were largely concentrated in the British Isles and Scandinavian countries; among these contributors, Arthur Bowley was one of the most active in revolutionizing statistical methodology and its economic applications. However, Bowley has been vastly undervalued by subsequent commentators - while hundreds of articles and books have been written on Karl Pearson, those on Arthur Bowley amount to a dozen or less. This book seeks to remedy this and fill in an important omission in the monographical literature on the history of statistics. In particular, the recent resurgence of interest in poverty research has led to a renewed interest in Bowley's legacy.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9789812835505 20160605
- Publication date
- 9789812835505 (hbk.)
- 9812835504 (hbk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: