The geometrical language of continuum mechanics
- Marcelo Epstein.
- Cambridge ; New York : Cambridge University Press, 2010.
- Physical description
- xii, 312 p. : ill. ; 26 cm.
Math & Statistics Library
|QA808.2 .E67 2010||Unknown|
- Epstein, M. (Marcelo)
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Part I. Motivation and Background: 1. The case for differential geometry-- 2. Vector and affine spaces-- 3. Tensor algebras and multivectors-- Part II. Differential Geometry: 4. Differentiable manifolds-- 5. Lie derivatives, lie groups, lie algebras-- 6. Integration and fluxes-- Part III. Further Topics: 7. Fibre bundles-- 8. Inhomogeneity theory-- 9. Connection, curvature, torsion-- Appendix A. A primer in continuum mechanics.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780521198554 20160605
- Publisher's Summary
- Epstein presents the fundamental concepts of modern differential geometry within the framework of continuum mechanics. Divided into three parts of roughly equal length, the book opens with a motivational chapter to impress upon the reader that differential geometry is indeed the natural language of continuum mechanics or, better still, that the latter is a prime example of the application and materialisation of the former. In the second part, the fundamental notions of differential geometry are presented with rigor using a writing style that is as informal as possible. Differentiable manifolds, tangent bundles, exterior derivatives, Lie derivatives, and Lie groups are illustrated in terms of their mechanical interpretations. The third part includes the theory of fiber bundles, G-structures, and groupoids, which are applicable to bodies with internal structure and to the description of material inhomogeneity. The abstract notions of differential geometry are thus illuminated by practical and intuitively meaningful engineering applications.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780521198554 20160605
- Continuum mechanics.
- Publication date
- 9780521198554 (hardback)
- 0521198550 (hardback)
Browse related items
Start at call number: