Teaching kids to love learning, not just endure it
- Michael Connolly.
- Lanham, Md. : Rowman & Littlefield Education, c2011.
- Physical description
- viii, 137 p. ; 24 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
LB1065 .C64 2011
- Unknown LB1065 .C64 2011
- Connolly, Michael.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 133-135).
- Chapter 1 Acknowledgements Chapter 2 Introduction Chapter 3 What Is Love? Chapter 4 Autopsies Chapter 5 Learning Is an Emotional Experience Chapter 6 Defying the Current Teaching-Learning Paradigm Chapter 7 Creating a Supportive Learning Environment Chapter 8 A Remedy for What Ails Education Chapter 9 Another Love: A Teacheris Passion for Her Subject Chapter 10 Discipline: The Gift of Love Chapter 11 Bringing Awesome Back into the Classroom Chapter 12 Restoring the Joy to Learning Chapter 13 When Learning Isnit Fun Chapter 14 Education Must Nourish the Spirit Chapter 15 When Education Fails to Nourish the Spirit Chapter 16 Whatis So Right about Being Wrong? Chapter 17 Whatis So Right about Being Wrongoan Example Chapter 18 Learning to Love Their Questions Chapter 19 Teaching Students to Value Commitment Chapter 20 Revising Our Reductionist View of Education Chapter 21 We Donit Just Love You We Need You Chapter 22 Learning to Love Unlearning Chapter 23 Discovering the Wonder of Science Chapter 24 Are You a Wonder-filled Teacher? Chapter 25 Education for Living Chapter 26 We Must Love Children in the Concrete Not Just the Abstract Chapter 27 Making Education Relevant: A Micro-Society Approach Chapter 28 Why We Need the Arts in Education Chapter 29 Celebrate Whatis Right with Teaching and Learning Chapter 30 The Walkabout Chapter 31 Never Lose Sight of the Higher Purpose of Education Chapter 32 I Was Just Wondering Chapter 33 Afterword Chapter 34 Appendix 1: Selected Readings Chapter 35 Appendix 2: School Mission Statement Chapter 36 References.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- With so much emphasis these days on making students globally competitive and prepared to beat students of other nations on international assessments, and with so much talk about academic rigor and emphasis on rigid accountability measures, we are in danger of losing sight of the most fundamental element of successful teaching and learning - love. Teaching Kids to Love Learning, Not Just Endure It makes the case that if we really want "no child left behind" we must return to the solid foundation on which successful teaching and learning has always rested - the love of teacher for her students (and they for her) and the passion of the teacher for her discipline and her desire to share that passion with her students.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Motivation in education.
- Publication date
- 9781607099574 (hbk. : acid-free paper)
- 1607099578 (hbk. : acid-free paper)
- 9781607099581 (pbk. : acid-free paper)
- 1607099586 (pbk. : acid-free paper)
- 9781607099598 (ebk.)
- 1607099594 (ebk.)