The answer is in the room : how effective schools scale up student success
- Alan M. Blankstein.
- Thousand Oaks, Calif. : Corwin ; [Bloomington, Ind.] : a joint publication with the HOPE Foundation, c2011.
- Physical description
- xxii, 117 p. : ill. ; 26 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB2822.8 .B57 2011||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 111-113) and index.
- Preface Acknowledgments About the Author Dedication Figures and Tools to Help Answer the Questions in the Room 1. Why We Can't Wait to Scale Student Success! The Power of Positive Deviance Saves Millions of Children in Vietnam Applying Positive Deviance to Education Good News for Scaling Student Success About This Book and Chapter Some Common Core Principles of Networking and PD Challenges to Scaling Success in US Education The Moral and Economic Imperative for Change is Now What Works, What Doesn't, What's Next? The Big Question References 2. A Process to CREATE Sustained Student Success A Movement is Born in U.S. Education - and Exported to Other Nations The Catalyst to Change The CREATE Process The Advantages of the CREATE Process The Big Question References 3. The Courage to Commit to the Work Defining Courage Commitment: A Pillar of Courage Building a Collective Commitment to Scale Up Student Success 7 Tools for Constructing a Large-Scale Community Commitment Cultivating the Community: Qualities of the Courageous Leader The Big Question References 4. Resources are in the Room The Most Valuable Resource: Focused Commitment Over Time The Second Major Resource: Patience and Urgency Third Major Resource: Steering Committee How to Get TIME to Collaborate Getting Down to the Details The Big Question References 5. Taking Stock of Excellence in the Room Is there Excellence or Positive Deviance to be Found? Defining Excellence is Done Twice by the Lead Teams Developing a Community to Question the Answer: Language, Purpose and Norms Improving Instructional Practice: Change the Methods and You Will Change the Outcomes Change the Methods and You Will Change the Outcomes The Big Question References 6. An Action Plan for Engaging the Entire Learning Community Developing a Common Language for the Action Plan Key Challenges to Address in the Action Plan Reentry Plans to Engage the Larger School Community, Build Trust and Transparency Developing SMART Goals That the School Community Wants to Achieve Successful Implementation of SMART Goals Identifying and Assessing Excellence Next Steps The Big Question References 7. Transference of Knowledge and Skills Throughout the Learning Community Transferring Knowledge and Skills within the School Transferring Knowledge and Skills Through-out the District What Are Tuning Protocols? The Big Question References 8. Embedding the New Learning in the Culture for Sustainability Three Pillars of Embedding the Process in the School Culture The Big Question References Tools to Help Answer the Questions in the Room Tool A: Writing an Instructional SMART Goal Worksheet Tool B: Strategies for Making Time Tool C: Agreement of PURPOSE Worksheet Tool D: Creating Group Norms: Facilitator Guide Example Tool E: An Example Participant Handout for Creating Group Norms Tool F: Steps of "Instructional Learning Walks" Tool G: Indicators of Quality Instructional Learning Walks Observation Sheet Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Learn the secrets of successful schools Citing wisdom from top educational experts and building on what is already working, award-winning author Alan M. Blankstein offers tools for finding excellence in schools, scaling these practices across learning communities, and transforming low-performing schools into high-performing schools. His five-step process includes: - Identifying and assessing excellence - Creating an action plan - Assigning resources such as time, materials, etc. - Transferring excellence in the form of knowledge and skills throughout the school and district - Sustaining the excellence Also included are effective strategies for sustaining student gains, closing gaps within and between schools, building leader capacity, and increasing community commitment.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- 9781412998765 (pbk. : acid-free paper)
- 141299876X (pbk. : acid-free paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: