Educating from the heart : theoretical and practical approaches to transforming education
- edited by Aostre N. Johnson and Marilyn Webb Neagley ; foreword by Paul D. Houston.
- Lanham : Rowman & Littlefield Education, c2011.
- Physical description
- xxiv, 172 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LC995 .E38 2011||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references.
- Chapter 1 Foreword: The Spirit Dimension of Education Chapter 2 Preface Chapter 3 Acknowledgments Chapter 4 Introduction Part 5 Section I-Overview Chapter 6 Developing Spirit Related Capacities of Children and Adolescents Chapter 7 Supporting Inner Wisdom in Public Schools Chapter 8 Developing Mindfulness and Emotional Self Regulation in American Education Chapter 9 Nurturing the Spirit through Literature Chapter 10 The Six Passages of Childhood-A Model for School-based Rites of Passage Chapter 11 Paying Attention to the Whole Self Part 12 Section II-Practice Chapter 13 Deepening Presence and Interconnection in the Classroom Chapter 14 The Yogi in the Classroom Chapter 15 Simple in Means Chapter 16 The Inner Life of Teaching Chapter 17 Integrating the Spirit with Total Body Fitness Chapter 18 Stress Reduction in a Middle Level Social Studies Class Chapter 19 Teaching Children Empathy Jessica Toulis Chapter 20 Counseling from the Heart Madelyn Nash Chapter 21 Nurturing Childrenis Inner Resources-An Elementary School Guide Auriel Gray Chapter 22 Conclusion Aostre N. Johnson and Marilyn Webb Neagley Chapter 23 Biographical Sketches.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781610483162 20160607
- Publisher's Summary
- Educating from the Heart: Theoretical and Practical Approaches to Transforming Education is based on the questions: 'What does it mean to educate from the heart? What does it mean to educate with spirit?' It offers both theoretical overviews and practical approaches for educators, academics, education students and parents who are interested in transforming schools. Well-respected voices in the field of education provide a framework that includes recent findings from the world of neuroscience, as well as fresh perspectives about traditional wisdom. Practicing educators describe methods directly applicable in classrooms. In addition, many chapters emphasize the importance of educators attending to their own inner lives. The book encourages reinvigorating approaches to learning and teaching that can easily be integrated into both public and private K-12 school classrooms, with many ideas also applicable to higher education. It supports an educational system based on the beliefs that heart and spirit are intertwined with mind and intellect, and that inner peace, wisdom, compassion, and conscience can be developed together with academic content and skills.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781610483162 20160607
- Publication date
- 9781610483155 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 1610483154 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 9781610483162 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 1610483162 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 9781610483179 (electronic)
- 1610483170 (electronic)
Acquired with support from
Browse related items
Start at call number: