Motivation matters and interest counts : fostering engagement in mathematics
- James A. Middleton, Amanda Jansen.
- Reston, VA : National Council of Teachers of Mathematics, c2011.
- Physical description
- xii, 186 p. : ill. ; 26 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|QA16 .M53 2011||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references.
- All students are motivated : why it matters to understand the reasons students do what they do
- Motivation is learned
- Motivation is adaptive
- Motivation is in the moment
- Motivations creates long-term attitudes
- Motivation is social
- Success matters
- Emphasizing sense making and personal investment : using contexts judiciously
- Providing challenge : start where students are, not where they are not
- Limiting the use of rewards and other reinforcers : the hidden costs of rewards
- Exploiting interests : building intrinsic motivation
- Building relationships : characteristics of knowledge-building communities
- Choices we must make : implications for action.
- Publisher's Summary
- Why do smart people disengage from mathematical pursuits...and how can we reverse the trend? This book is designed to be the go-to source for information on mathematical motivation. It presents the full body of research on motivation in a useful, interesting and provocative matter.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780873536585 20160605
- Publication date
- 9780873536585 (alk. paper)
- 0873536584 (alk. paper)
Acquired with support from
Browse related items
Start at call number: