La bataille d'Alger [videorecording] = The battle of Algiers
- un film de Gillo Pontecorvo ; scénario de Franco Solinas ; production Casbah Films, Igor Film ; produit par Yacef Saadi.
- Arabic, English, French. Subtitled for the deaf and hard of hearing., Arabic and French dialogue, with English subtitles.
- Blu-ray special ed.
- [Irvington, N.Y.] : Criterion Collection, 2011.
- Physical description
- 2 videodiscs (121 min.) : sd., b&w ; 4 3/4 in. + 1 booklet (55 p. ; 19 cm.)
- Criterion collection (Blu-ray discs) ; 249.
- 1. The battle of Algiers
- 2. History and the film.
- Vividly re-creates a key year in the tumultuous Algerian struggle for independence from the occupying French in the 1950s. As violence escalates on both sides, children shoot soldiers at point-blank range, women plant bombs in cafš, and French soldiers resort to torture to break the will of the insurgents. Shot on the streets of Algiers in documentary style.
- Jabhat al-Taḥrīr al-Qawmī > Drama.
- Torture > Algeria > Drama.
- Terrorism > Algeria > Drama.
- Autonomy > Drama.
- Algeria > History > Revolution, 1954-1962 > Drama.
- Kasbah (Algiers, Algeria) > Drama.
- Battaglia di Algeri (Motion picture)
- Release date
- Production date
- Title Variation
- Battle of Algiers
- The Criterion Collection ; 249
- Originally released as a motion picture in 1966.
- Based on: Souvenirs de la Bataille d'Alger / Saadi Yacef.
- Accompanying booklet includes an essay by film scholar Peter Matthews; a reprinted interview with writer Franco Solinas; and brief biographies on the key figures in the French-Algerian War.
- Special features: Disc 1: "Gillo Pontecorvo : the dictatorship of truth," a documentary narrated by literary critic Edward Said; "Marxist poetry : the making of The battle of Algiers," a documentary featuring interviews with Pontecorvo, Gatti, and composer Ennio Morricone, among others; interview with Spike Lee, Mira Nair, Julian Schnabel, Steven Soderbergh, and Oliver Stone on the film's influence, style, and importance; production gallery; theatrical and rerelease trailers. Disc 2: "Remembering history," a documentary on the Algerian experience of the battle for independence; "États d'armes," a documentary excerpt featuring senior French military officers recalling the use of torture and execution to combat the Algerian rebellion; "The battle of Algiers : a case study," a video piece featuring U.S. counterterrorism experts; "Gillo Pontecorvo's return to Algiers," a documentary in which the filmmaker revisits the country after three decades of independence.
- Production Credits
- Director of photography, Marcello Gatti ; editors, Mario Serandrei & Mario Morra ; music, Ennio Morricone & Gillo Pontecorvo ; production designer, Sergio Canevari.
- Brahim Haggiag, Jean Martin, Saadi Yacef, Samia Kerbash, Ugo Paletti, Fusia El Kader, Omar.
- Blu-ray disc, region A, widescreen (aspect ratio 1.85:1); mono.
- Requires Blu-ray player.
- Venice Film Festive, Golden Lion, 1966; International Film Critics Award, 1966; City of Venice Award, 1966.
- Related Work
- Saadi, Yacef, 1928- Souvenirs de la Bataille d'Alger.
- Included Work
- Gillo Pontecorvo, the dictatorship of truth.
- Marxist poetry, the making of The battle of Algiers.
- Remembering history.
- États d'armes.
- Battle of Algiers, a case study.
- Gillo Pontecorvo's return to Algiers.
- Publisher Number
- CC2042BD The Criterion Collection
Browse related items
Start at call number: