A history of the Sudan : from the coming of Islam to the present day
- P.M. Holt and M.W. Daly.
- 6th ed.
- Harlow, England ; New York : Longman/Pearson, 2011.
- Physical description
- ix, 199 p.,  p. of plates : ill., maps ; 24 cm.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -193) and index.
- Preface to the First Edition. Preface to the Sixth Edition. Abbreviations and Acronyms. Introduction: The Land and the People. PART ONE: Before the Turco-Egyptian Conquest. PART TWO: The Turco-Egyptian Period: 1820-81. PART THREE: The Mahdist State: 1881-98. PART FOUR: The Anglo-Egyptian Condominium: 1899-1955. PART FIVE: The Independent Sudan. Select Bibliography.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
A History of the Sudan by Martin Daly and PM Holt, sixth edition, has been fully revised and updated and covers the most recent developments that have occurred in Sudan over the last nine years, including the crisis in Darfur. The most notable developments that this text covers includes the decades-long civil war in the South (with the signing of the Comprehensive Peace Agreement in January 2005); the emergence of the Sudan as an oil-producer and exporter, and its resulting higher profile in global economic affairs, notably as a partner of China; the emergence of al-Qaeda, the relations of Sudanese authorities with Osama bin Laden (whose headquarters were in the Sudan in the 1990s), and the Sudanese government's complicated relations with the West. This text is key introductory reading for any student of North Africa.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- 9781405874458 (pbk.)
- 1405874457 (pbk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: