Encyclopedia of agricultural, food, and biological engineering
- 2nd ed.
- Boca Raton : CRC Press, c2011.
- Physical description
- 2 v. : ill. ; 29 cm.
- Dekker agropedia collection.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- v. 1. Aerobic-Liquid
- v. 2. Machine-Wood
- Publisher's Summary
- The Definitive Reference for Food Scientists & Engineers The Second Edition of the Encyclopedia of Agricultural, Food, and Biological Engineering focuses on the processes used to produce raw agricultural materials and convert the raw materials into consumer products for distribution. It provides an improved understanding of the processes used in the production and manufacture of consumer products of agricultural origin. With more than 400 entries, the encyclopedia examines the processes used to convert raw materials info safe, convenient, and nutritious foods as well as the many other consumer products manufactured from raw agricultural materials. In addition to completely new entries based on new developments in the field, this second edition provides updates to existing entries. * Applies engineering concepts and principles to production agriculture, including the design of machinery and structures used and the management of water required for these operations * Gives specific attention to crop production, including the harvesting, storage, and handling of major and minor crops * Focuses on animal production, including all aspects requiring engineering inputs * Covers food handling, storage, processing, packaging, and distribution, with specific emphasis on the design of facilities, equipment, and processes needed to deliver safe and high-quality food products to the consumer * Addresses unique processes associated with the preservation of foods, using thermal processes, refrigeration, dehydration, and similar processes * Explores the more basic engineering concepts associated with biological systems * Presents the common fundamentals that have evolved with other biological systems, including those in the environment and in humans The encyclopedia emphasizes the significant role of engineering in the development and design of the processes and equipment for the production and manufacturing of products of agricultural origin. The entries expand on the original concepts and introduce many new topics based on the evolution of developments in agricultural production, the conversion of raw materials into food products and the biological processes used throughout the system. The second edition continues to address critical components of a system with the capacity to deliver food and other consumer products to an expanding world population. This encyclopedia provides the knowledge necessary for readers to contribute to the safety and nutrition of the global food supply as well as the other products that contribute to a quality of life for consumers. ALSO AVAILABLE ONLINE This Taylor & Francis encyclopedia is also available through online subscription, offering a variety of extra benefits for both researchers, students, and librarians, including: * Citation tracking and alerts * Active reference linking * Saved searches and marked lists * HTML and PDF format options For more information, visit Taylor & Francis Online or contact us to inquire about subscription options and print/online combination packages. US: (Tel) 1.888.318.2367 / (E-mail) email@example.com International: (Tel) +44 (0) 20 7017 6062 / (E-mail) online. firstname.lastname@example.org Dennis R. Heldman speaks about his book on the CRC Press YouTube Channel.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- edited by Dennis R. Heldman, Carmen I. Moraru.
- Dekker agropedia collection
- 9781439811115 (2 volume set)
- 1439811113 (2 volume set)
- 9781439826744 (hardcover, v. 1 : alk. paper)
- 1439826749 (hardcover, v. 1 : alk. paper)
- 9781439826737 (hardcover, v. 2 : alk. paper)
- 1439826730 (hardcover, v. 2 : alk. paper)