Towards a semantic web : connecting knowledge in academic research
- Bill Cope, Mary Kalantzis, Liam Magee.
- Oxford : Chandos Pub., 2011.
- Physical description
- xviii, 525 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Chandos internet series.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|TK5105.88815 .T682 2011||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Changing knowledge systems in the era of the social web-- Frameworks for knowledge representation-- The meaning of meaning: alternative disciplinary perspectives-- What does the digital do to knowledge making? Books and journal articles: the textual practices of academic-- Textual representations and knowledge support-systems in research intensive networks-- An historical introduction to formal knowledge systems-- Contemporary dilemmas: tables versus webs-- Upper-level ontologies-- Describing knowledge domains: a case study of biological ontologies-- On commensurability-- A framework for commensurability-- Creating an interlanguage of the social web-- Interoperability and the exchange of humanly usable digital content-- Framing a new agenda for semantic publishing.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781843346012 20160605
- Publisher's Summary
- This book addresses the question of how knowledge is currently documented, and may soon be documented in the context of what it calls 'semantic publishing'. This takes two forms: a more narrowly and technically defined 'semantic web'; as well as a broader notion of semantic publishing. This book examines the ways in which knowledge is represented in journal articles and books. By contrast, it goes on to explore the potential impacts of semantic publishing on academic research and authorship. It sets this in the context of changing knowledge ecologies: the way research is done; the way knowledge is represented and; the modes of knowledge access used by researchers, students and the general public. * Provides an introduction to the 'semantic web' and semantic publishing for readers outside the field of computer science* Discusses the relevance of the 'semantic web' and semantic publishing more broadly, and its application to academic research* Examines the changing ecologies of knowledge production.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781843346012 20160605
- Publication date
- Chandos internet series
- 9781843346012 (pbk.)
- 184334601X (pbk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: