From brain to mind : using neuroscience to guide change in education
- James E. Zull.
- 1st ed.
- Sterling, Va. : Stylus Pub., 2011.
- Physical description
- x, 294 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|QP408 .Z85 2011||Unknown|
- Zull, James E. (James Ellwood), 1939-
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Publisher's Summary
- "From Brain to Mind challenges educators to see what children learn from the perspective of neuroscience, and to see what this perspective provides educators.... The metacognition Zull advocates should lead the reader to work through the chapters and come up with ideas about or approaches to education. Summing Up: Recommended."--Choice"My congratulations to James Zull for the way he connects neuroscience and education, and offers valuable insights on how we can be more intentional in improving the opportunities and conditions for learning in and out of the classroom."--Elkhonon Goldber, Clinical Professor of Neurology at the NYU School of Medicine, author of The New Executive BrainWith his knack for making science intelligible for the layman and his ability to illuminate scientific concepts through analogy and reference to personal experience, James Zull offers the reader an engrossing and coherent introduction to what neuroscience can tell us about cognitive development through experience, and its implications for education.Stating that educational change is underway and that the time is ripe to recognize that the primary objective of education is to understand human learning and that all other objectives depend on achieving this understanding, James Zull challenges the reader to focus on this purpose, first for her or himself, and then for those for whose learning they are responsible. The book is addressed to all learners and educators to the reader as self-educator embarked on the journey of lifelong learning, to the reader as parent, and to readers who are educators in schools or university settings, as well as mentors and trainers in the workplace.".
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- 9781579224615 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 157922461X (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 9781579224622 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 1579224628 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 9781579226053 (library networkable e-edition)
- 1579226051 (library networkable e-edition)
- 9781579226060 (consumer e-edition)
- 157922606X (consumer e-edition)
Browse related items
Start at call number: