Undigested past : the Holocaust in Lithuania
- Robert van Voren.
- Amsterdam ; New York : Rodopi, 2011.
- Physical description
- xi, 195 p. ; 23 cm.
- On the boundary of two worlds 31.
- Voren, Robert van.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -190) and index.
- Foreword by Leonidas Donskis Introduction Acknowledgements Lithuanian Historical Background Origins of Anti-Semitism Jewish Life in Lithuania between World Wars The Holocaust in Lithuania Issues of Compliance and Collaboration The Human Dimension Why Did it Happen? From Black and White to Shades of Grey Conclusion Bibliography Index About the Author.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- "This is a most honest, balanced and tactful attempt to promote self-reflection and self-understanding in two nations involved in a brutal genocide. If you are a Lithuanian or a Jew, after reading this book you have no other choice but to redefine your personal identity in order to answer the questions: What does it mean to be a Lithuanian? What does it mean to be a Lithuanian Jew? I thought I knew the answers, but I was wrong." Levas Kovarskis, psychoanalyst "As Lithuanians, we need to face the deep and painful reflections of the events highlighted in this remarkable book. A great deal of work is needed on both sides to restore trust between Jews and Lithuanians and, for those not afraid to do so, reading this book is a very good first step." Danius Puras, psychiatrist "Despite the multitude of available works on the Holocaust, this admirably concise, yet detailed, volume will be an eye-opener for many - probably most - of its readers. Particularly valuable is its comparative (not contrastive) survey of the behavior of many in Lithuania and The Netherlands during and after the Second World War. In no sense is this book 'anti-Lithuanian', for, as the author well realizes, it was not only the Jews in that country who suffered terribly under Nazi and Soviet occupation. This monograph deserves a very wide readership, especially in Lithuania." Martin Dewhirst, University of Glasgow, Scotland.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- On the boundary of two worlds ; 31
- 9789042033719 (pbk.)
- 9042033711 (pbk.)
- 9789401200707 (ebk.)
- 940120070X (ebk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: