Routledge handbook of applied sport psychology : a comprehensive guide for students and practitioners
- edited by Stephanie J. Hanrahan and Mark B. Andersen.
- London ; New York : Routledge, 2010.
- Physical description
- xv, 564 p. : ill. ; 26 cm.
- Routledge international handbooks.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Section I Counseling 1 Chapter 1 Therapeutic Relationships in Applied Sport Psychology Mark B. Andersen and Harriet D. Speed Chapter 2 Attending and Listening Shane M. Murphy and Annemarie I. Murphy Chapter 3 Training and Professional Development in Applied Sport Psychology David Tod Chapter 4 Challenging and Confronting Clients with Compassion Sam Zizzi and Jessica C. Peacock Chapter 5 Working with Reluctant and Resistant Clients Julia Shiang and Lisa Mitzel Chapter 6 Records: Purposes, Characteristics, and Contents for Protecting our Clients and Ourselves Ellen T. Luepker Chapter 7 Ethical Practice in Sport Psychology: Challenges in the Real World Jonah Oliver Chapter 8 Endings: More than Saying Goodbye Lynda Mainwaring Section II Assessment Chapter 9 The Applied Sport Psychology Intake Jeff Simons Chapter 10 Individual and Group Observations: Purposes and Processes Jack C. Watson and Vanessa Shannon Chapter 11 Psychological Assessment: Projective Techniques Petah Gibbs Chapter 12 Psychological Assessment: Objective/Self-report Measures Daryl Marchant Section III Theoretical and Therapeutic Models Chapter 13 The Humanistic/Person-Centered Theoretical Model Barbara Walker Chapter 14 Cognitive-Behavioral Therapies Emily Claspell Chapter 15 Positive Psychology Gloria Park-Perin Chapter 16 What Happens If You Introduce Existential Psychology into Sport Psychology? Jeff Greenberg and Dave Weise Chapter 17 Psychodynamic Models of Therapy Mark B. Andersen Chapter 18 Sport as a Context for Teaching Life Skills Kathryn A. Conley, Steven J. Danish, and Cassandra D. Pasquariello Chapter 19 Family Systems Interventions in Sport Michael Zito Chapter 20 Acceptance-Based Behavioral Therapies and Sport Frank L. Gardner and Zella E. Moore Chapter 21 An Eastern Philosophical Approach Sam Zizzi and Mark B. Andersen Section IV Individual Issues Chapter 22 Referring Clients to Other Professionals Judy L. Van Raalte Chapter 23 Drug Use and Abuse by Athletes Jason Mazanov Chapter 24 Male and Female Athletes with Eating Disorders Trent A. Petrie and Christy Greenleaf Chapter 25 Adherence to Sport Injury Rehabilitation Britton W. Brewer Chapter 26 Career Termination David Lavallee, Sunghee Park, and David Tod Chapter 27 Depression Kate Hays Chapter 28 Anxiety Daryl Marchant Chapter 29 Sleep Glenn S. Brassington and Chris Goode Chapter 30 Identity Foreclosure in Sport Albert Petitpas and Thaddeus France Chapter 31 Overtraining and Recovery Michael Kellmann Chapter 32 Working with Adult Athlete Survivors of Sexual Abuse Trisha Leahy Section V Team-related Issues Chapter 33 Constructive Communication Kevin L. Burke Chapter 34 Developing a Shared Identity/Vision: Benefits and Pitfalls Traci A. Statler Chapter 35 Conflict Management Clifford J. Mallett Chapter 36 It's Nice to Go Traveling, BUT... Peter C. Terry Chapter 37 Bullying and Hazing in Sport Teams Leslee A. Fisher and Lars Dzikus Chapter 38 Death of a Teammate Ruth Anderson Section VI Working with Specific Populations Chapter 39 Children Melissa A. Chase Chapter 40 Masters Athletes Nikola Medic Chapter 41 Professional Athletes Pippa Grange Chapter 42 Working at the Olympics Ken Hodge Chapter 43 Diverse Sexual and Gender Identities in Sport Kerrie Kauer and Vikki Krane Chapter 44 Psychological Services for Rural Athletes Jack C. Watson and Damien Clement Chapter 45 Athletes with Physical Disabilities Jeffrey J. Martin Chapter 46 Athletes with Intellectual Disabilities Melanie Gregg Chapter 47 Athletes who are Blind/Visually Impaired or Deaf/Hard of Hearing Jennifer E. Vose, Rebecca A. Clark, and Michael L. Sachs Chapter 48 Culturally Competent Practitioners Stephanie J. Hanrahan Section VII Mental Skills Chapter 49 Activation/Arousal Control Robert Weinberg Chapter 50 Imagery Tony Morris Chapter 51 Motivation and Goal Setting Glyn Roberts and Elsa Kristiansen Chapter 52 Concentration/Attention Aidan Moran Chapter 53 Self-talk Judy L. Van Raalte Chapter 54 Confidence Robin Vealey and Dan Vernau Chapter 55 Time Management Edward Etzel and Samantha Monda Chapter 56 Pre-Performance Routines Ronnie Lidor Chapter 57 Mental Toughness Daniel F. Gucciardi and Clifford J. Mallett.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- The Routledge Handbook of Applied Sport Psychology is a definitive guide to the theory and practice of applied sport psychology. It goes further than any other book in surveying the full variety of issues that practising sport psychologists will confront in their working lives. It introduces the most important tools and skills that psychologists will need to be truly helpful to their clients, and it also adopts a holistic definition of the role of the sport psychologist, explaining how effective counselling, assessment, and therapeutic models can add important extra dimensions to professional practice. The book is divided into seven thematic sections, addressing: counselling assessment theoretical and therapeutic models issues for the individual athlete, from injury and overtraining to depression issues for teams, from conflict resolution to travel working with special populations mental skills, such as imagery, goal setting, and concentration. Moving beyond the traditional tracks of clinical psychology and performance enhancement, the authors in this book argue convincingly that psychologists would benefit from attempting to understand athletes' social and familial contexts - their health, happiness, and interpersonal dynamics in the broadest sense - if they are to serve their clients' best interests. With contributions from many of the world's leading sport psychologists, and with clear descriptions of best practice in each chapter, the Routledge Handbook of Applied Sport Psychology is essential reading for all serious students and practitioners of sport psychology, counselling, applied sport science, health psychology, and related fields.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Routledge international handbooks
- 9780415484633 (hbk.)
- 0415484634 (hbk.)
- 9780415484640 (pbk.)
- 0415484642 (pbk.)
- 9780203851043 (ebk.)
- 0203851048 (ebk.)