The musical : a research and information guide
- William A. Everett.
- 2nd ed.
- New York : Routledge, 2011.
- Physical description
- xv, 315 p. ; 24 cm.
- Routledge music bibliographies.
|ML128 .M78 E84 2011||In-library use|
- Everett, William A., 1962-
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Discography: p. 285-288.
- Filmography: p. 289.
- Acknowledgments List of Abbreviations Introduction I Reference Works II General Histories III Musical Theater IV Film and Television Musicals V Works VI Creators VII Performers VIII Performance IX Historiography X Periodicals XI Sets and Series of Printed Material XII Discographies XIII Recorded Anthologies XIV Video Anthologies XV Other Searchable Resources Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780415994217 20160605
- Publisher's Summary
- The musical, whether on stage or screen, is undoubtedly one of the most recognizable musical genres, yet one of the most perplexing. What are its defining features? How does it negotiate multiple socio-cultural-economic spaces? Is it a popular tradition? Is it a commercial enterprise? Is it a sophisticated cultural product and signifier? This research guide includes more than 1,400 annotated entries related to the genre as it appears on stage and screen. It includes reference works, monographs, articles, anthologies, and websites related to the musical. Separate sections are devoted to sub-genres (such as operetta and megamusical), non-English language musical genres in the U.S., traditions outside the U.S., individual shows, creators, performers, and performance. The second edition reflects the notable increase in musical theater scholarship since 2000. In addition to printed materials, it includes multimedia and electronic resources.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780415994217 20160605
- Publication date
- Routledge music bibliographies
- 9780415994217 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 0415994217 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 9780203891193 (ebk.)
- 0203891198 (ebk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: