Contemporary applied linguistics
- Paperback edition.
- London ; New York, NY : Continuum, 2011.
- Physical description
- 2 volumes : illustrations ; 25 cm.
- Continuum contemporary studies in linguistics.
- Library has: v.1-
P51 .W375 2011 V.1
P51 .W375 2011 V.2
- Library has: v.1-
- Includes bibliographical references and indexes.
- Introduction: Language in the globalized world-- 1. Multilingualism, Gender and Globalization, Aneta Pavlenko & Ingrid Pillar-- 2. Language and Economy, Florian Coulmas-- 3. Linguistic Diversity, Biodiversity and Poverty, Suzanne Romaine-- 4. Discourse in Organizations and Workplace, Britt-Louise Gunnarsson-- 5. Multimodal Discourses, Gu Yueguo-- 6. Language and Culture, Nick Enfield-- 7. Language in Legal Contexts/Forensic Linguistics, John Gibbons-- 8. Translation and Politics, Christina Schaeffner-- 9. Religious Language Management, Bernard Spolsky-- 10. Language and the Brain, Marjorie Lorch-- 11. Clinical Linguistics, Martin Ball & Nicole Mueller-- 12. Sign Linguistics, Sign Language Learning and Sign Bilingualism, Gary Morgan & Bencie Woll-- Bibliography-- Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Written by internationally renowned academics, this volume provides a snapshot of the field of applied linguistics, and illustrates how linguistics is informing and engaging with neighbouring disciplines. Chapters in this second volume present an overview of new (and interdisciplinary) applications of linguistics to such diverse fields as economics, law, religion, tourism, media studies and health care. Both volumes represent the best of current practice in applied linguistics, and will be invaluable to students and researchers looking for an overview of the field.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- edited by Li Wei and Vivian Cook.
- Continuum contemporary studies in linguistics
- 9781441150219 (v. 1)
- 1441150218 (v. 1)
- 9781441169600 (v. 2)
- 1441169601 (v. 2)