Motivation and disposition : pathways to learning mathematics
- Daniel J. Brahier, William R. Speer [editors].
- Reston, VA : National Council of Teachers of Mathematics, c2011
- Physical description
- x, 303 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Yearbook (National Council of Teachers of Mathematics) ; 73rd.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|371.35 .N277 V.73 2011||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references.
- Introduction : motivation and disposition : the hidden curriculum / Daniel J. Brahier
- Part I. Perspectives on motivation and disposition
- Overview / Denisse R. Thompson
- ch. 1. Motivation and self-efficacy in mathematics education / Dale H. Schunk and Kerri Richardson
- ch. 2. A model for mathematics instruction to enhance student motivation and engagement / Janette Bobis . . . [et al.]
- ch. 3. Identity development : critical component for learning in mathematics / Alan Zollman, M Cecil Smith, Patricia Reisdorf
- ch. 4. Recommendations from self-determination theory for enhancing motivation for mathematics / Daniel J. Ross and David A. Bergin
- ch. 5. Student dispositions with respect to mathematics : what current literature says / James Beyers
- Part II. Cultural and societal issues
- Overview / Marilyn E. Strutchens
- ch. 6. Mathematical dream makers : how two different math departments brought about equity and high achievement / Jo Boaler
- ch. 7. What motivates students to take advanced mathematics : a rural perspective / Rick Anderson
- ch. 8. Factors that motivate aboriginal students to improve their achievement in school mathematics / Kanwal Neel
- ch. 9. What motivates mathematically talented young women? / Hortensia Soto-Johnson, Cathleen Craviotto, Frieda Parker.
- Part III. Motivation and disposition in the classroom
- Overview / Melfried Olson
- ch. 10. Metaphors : a powerful means for assessing students' mathematical disposition / Jinfa Cai and F. Joseph Merlino
- ch. 11. Using prediction to motivate personal investment in problem solving / Lisa Kasmer and Ok-Kyeong Kim
- ch. 12. Developing persistent and flexible problem solvers with a growth mindset / Jennifer Suh . . . [et al.]
- ch. 13. Mark's development of productive disposition and motivation / Hope Gerson, Charity Hyer, and Janet Walter
- ch. 14. Listening to mathematics students' voices to asess and build on their motivation : learning in groups / Amanda Jansen
- ch. 15. Motivating mathematics students with manipulatives : using self-determination theory to intrinsically motivate students / Brett D. Jones, Lida J. Uribe-Florez and Jesse L. M. Wilkins
- ch. 16. Using movies and television shows as a mathematics motivator / Elana Reiser
- Part IV. Professional development support
- Overview / M. Lynn Breyfogle and Marian Small
- ch. 17. Bringing cool into school / M. Lynn Breyfogle and Marian Small
- ch. 18. Venturing into storybooks : motivating teachers to promote mathematical problem solving / Jane M. Wilburne and Jane B. Keat
- ch. 19. TARGETTS : a tool for teachers to promote adaptive motivation in any mathematics lesson / Melissa C. Gilbert and Lauren E. Masu-Gillette
- ch. 20. Developing prospective teachers' productive disposition toward fraction operations / Juli K. Dixon . . . [et al.]
- ch. 21. Transforming mathematics teachers' attitudes and practices through intensive professional development / W. Gary Martin . . . [et al.].
- Publication date
- Yearbook / National Council of Teachers of Mathematics ; 73rd
Browse related items
Start at call number: