The failure of environmental education (and how we can fix it)
- Saylan, Charles, 1953-
- Berkeley, Calif. : University of California Press, c2011.
- Physical description
- xii, 241 p. ; 22 cm.
GE70 .S29 2011
- Unknown GE70 .S29 2011
- Blumstein, Daniel T.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 219-223) and index.
- Preface 1. The Problem(s) 2. Foundations 3. What Went Wrong 4. Accountability and Institutional Mind-Set 5. The Needs of Environmentally Active Citizens 6. Between Awareness and Action 7. A Political Primer 8. Consumption, Conservation, and Change 9. An Evolving Metric 10. And How We Can Fix It Appendix: Greening Schools for Alternative Education Notes Selected Bibliography Acknowledgments Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- At a time when wild places everywhere are vanishing before our eyes, Charles Saylan and Daniel T. Blumstein offer this passionate indictment of environmental education - along with a new vision for the future. Writing for general readers and educators alike, Saylan and Blumstein boldly argue that education today has failed to reach its potential in fighting climate change, biodiversity loss, and environmental degradation. In this forward-looking book, they assess the current political climate, including the No Child Left Behind Act, a disaster for environmental education, and discuss how education can stimulate action - including decreasing consumption and demand, developing sustainable food and energy sources, and addressing poverty. Their multidisciplinary perspective encompasses such approaches as school gardens, using school buildings as teaching tools, and the greening of schoolyards. Arguing for a paradigm shift in the way we view education as a whole, "The Failure of Environmental Education" demonstrates how our education system can create new levels of awareness and work toward a sustainable future.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Environmental education.
- Publication date
- Charles Saylan and Daniel T. Blumstein.
- 9780520265387 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 0520265386 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 9780520265394 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 0520265394 (pbk. : alk. paper)