A concise history of the Baltic States
- Andrejs Plakans.
- Cambridge ; New York : Cambridge University Press, 2011.
- Physical description
- xvi, 472 p. : ill., maps ; 22 cm.
- Cambridge concise histories.
- Plakans, Andrejs.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 449-457) and index.
- 1. The peoples of the Eastern Baltic Littoral-- 2. The new order, 1200-1500-- 3. The new order reconfigured, 1500-1710-- 4. Installing hegemony: the Littoral and Tsarist Russia, 1710-1800-- 5. Reforming and controlling the Baltic Littoral, 1800-55-- 6. Five decades of transformations, 1855-1905-- 7. Statehood in troubled times, 1905-40-- 8. The return of empires, 1940-91-- 9. Reentering Europe: 1991-- Suggested readings.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780521833721 20160605
- Publisher's Summary
- The Baltic region is frequently neglected in broader histories of Europe and its international significance can be obscured by separate treatments of the various Baltic states. With this wide-ranging survey, Andrejs Plakans presents an integrated history of three Baltic peoples - Estonians, Latvians and Lithuanians - and draws out the common threads to show how it has been shaped by their location in a strategically desirable corner of Europe. Subordinated in turn by Baltic German landholders, the Polish nobility and gentry, and then by Russian and Soviet administrators, the three nations have nevertheless kept their distinctive identities - significantly retaining three separate languages in an ethnically diverse region. The book traces the countries' evolution from their ninth-century tribal beginnings to their present status as three thriving and separate nation states, focusing particularly on the region's complex twentieth-century history, which culminated in the eventual re-establishment of national sovereignty after 1991.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780521833721 20160605
- Publication date
- Cambridge concise histories
- 9780521541558 (pbk.)
- 0521541557 (pbk.)
- 9780521833721 (hbk.)
- 0521833728 (hbk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: