Philanthropy and fundraising in American higher education
- Noah D. Drezner.
- San Francisco, Calif. : Jossey-Bass, c2011.
- Physical description
- xiv, 155 p. ; 23 cm.
- ASHE higher education report ; v. 37, no. 2.
Education Library (Cubberley)
378.08 .E68 V.37:NO.2
- Unknown 378.08 .E68 V.37:NO.2
- Drezner, Noah D.
- Includes bibliographical references, Internet websites, (p. 102-141) and indexes.
- Executive Summary ix Foreword xi Acknowledgments xiii Introduction 1 The Concepts and Mechanics of Fundraising 5 Understanding How Endowments Work 9 Significance of Contemporary Philanthropy in Higher Education 10 The Great Wealth Transfer 13 An Organizational Guide to the Rest of the Monograph 14 The Influence of Philanthropy on American Higher Education 17 British Support for the Creation of American Higher Education 18 Support from the American Colonies 19 Influence of Individual Donors 20 Issues of Donors Control 24 Giving as a Collective: Alumni Giving and the Beginning of Systematic Solicitation 24 Conclusion 26 Who Is Philanthropic? Philanthropy by Nontraditional Donors 27 Overview of the Landscape 28 African American Giving and Philanthropy 29 Latino Philanthropy 35 Asian American Philanthropy 37 American Indian Philanthropy 39 Conclusion 39 Women and Philanthropy 41 Volunteering 43 Giving Decisions Among Couples 44 Organizational Choice 44 Conclusion 45 What Guides the Study of Philanthropy and Fundraising? 47 Motivations 48 Conclusion 63 Engaging Students and Young Alumni: The Importance of Cultivating the Next Generation of Donors 65 Giving Across the Generations 67 Engaging Youth in Philanthropy 68 Who Gives? 71 Adding Science to the Art of Fundraising: The Power of Using Data in Fundraising Strategy 74 A Critical Look at Philanthropic Giving 79 Conclusion and Challenges for Future Research 85 Notes 91 Appendix A: Fundraising Mechanics 93 Appendix B: Philanthropic Research Resources 99 References 107 Supplemental Bibliography 129 Name Index 143 Subject Index 149 About the Author 155.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Title Variation
- Philanthropy and fund raising in American higher education
- ASHE higher education report, 1551-6970 ; vol. 37, no. 2
- 9781118110331 (pbk.)
- 1118110331 (pbk.)