Leadership challenges in high schools : multiple pathways to success
- W. Norton Grubb.
- Boulder [Colo.] : Paradigm Publishers, c2011.
- Physical description
- x, 242 p. ; 24 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB2822.2 .G78 2011||Unknown|
- Grubb, W. Norton.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 220-231) and index.
- Introduction: the "people's college" or "pathways to nowhere"?
- "Inspiring work," "sunup to sundown and beyond": the enduring dilemmas of the American high school
- "You can't do it all": the special conditions of high school leadership
- "The jewels in our crown": leadership demands in high school with pathways
- "Opportunities together, opportunities separate": improving the preparation of high school leaders
- "Some joke show": district support for high schools and pathways
- "There's simply more to do": the possible futures of high schools.
- Publisher's Summary
- Principals are responsible for an increasing range of duties in an era of school reform, standardized testing, and more. These responsibilities are even greater in high schools, which are many times larger and more complex than elementary and middle schools. Yet little has been written on the special challenges of high schools and their leadership. This book fills the gap by exploring the challenges specific to high schools, including their size and complexity, the special difficulties in improving instruction, the crucial role of high schools for students' futures, adolescent behavioral issues, and many more. Grubb shows how principals and other leaders can address the complexities of multiple pathways, or efforts to create theme-based trajectories through high school - one of the most promising high school reforms. Looking to the future, he offers alternative ways of preparing professionals for high schools, and the responsibilities of districts for improving high schools and their leadership.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781594519116 20160605
- Publication date
- 9781594519109 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 1594519102 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 9781594519116 (pbk.)
- 1594519110 (pbk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: