Grow your own teachers : grassroots change for teacher education
- edited by Elizabeth A. Skinner, Maria Teresa Garretón, Brian D. Schultz ; foreword by Charles Payne.
- New York : Teachers College Press, c2011.
- Physical description
- xiii, 192 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Teaching for social justice series.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB1715 .G76 2011||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Rethinking teacher preparation / Elizabeth A. Skinner and Brian D. Schultz
- Teaching as political: theoretical perspectives for understanding the grow your own movement / Brian D. Schultz, Maureen D. Gillette, and Djanna A. Hill
- Amalia's quest: from parent mentor to teacher / Elizabeth A. Skinner
- The school-community organizing model and the origins of grow your own teachers / Mark R. Warren
- Parents building communities in schools / Joanna Brown
- Grow your own teachers as bridge-builders: closing the gap between schools and communities / Soo Hong
- Overcoming institutional barriers to develop a successful community-based teacher preparation program / Maria Teresa Garreton
- Community organizing and the evolution of grow your own Illinois / Anne Hallett
- "I went to this school-- I sat in your seat": teachers of color as change agents in city schools / Gregory Michie
- Teaching and learning in a beloved community / Kathleen McInerney
- On a grow your own journey: the teacher candidate experience / Christina L. Madda and Morgan Halstead
- Doing it better together: the challenges and the promise of community-based teacher education / Maureen D. Gillette
- Developing powerful teaching and learning: grow your own teachers within the national educational reform context / Linda Darling-Hammond.
- Publisher's Summary
- This book describes the evolution of a local school reform movement in Chicago that now serves as a model for change in schools and teacher preparation programs across the country.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- The teaching for social justice series
- 9780807751947 (hardcover : alk. paper)
- 0807751944 (hardcover : alk. paper)
- 9780807751930 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 0807751936 (pbk. : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: