The pedagogy of confidence : inspiring high intellectual performance in urban schools
- Yvette Jackson ; foreword by Reuven Feuerstein.
- New York : Teachers College Press, c2011.
- Physical description
- xiv, 194 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LC4091 .J33 2011||Unknown|
- Jackson, Yvette.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 176-182) and index.
- The need to believe
- The continued drama of disregarded realities
- Other disregarded realities : obscured learning barriers
- Divining intelligence : the transformative theory and practice of Reuven Feuerstein
- Back to gifted land : extraordinary learning growth requires extraordinary teacher
- The high operational practices of the pedagogy of confidence
- The art of applying the high operational practices
- Namaste : the essence of the pedagogy of confidence
- Inspiring the pedagogy of confidence
- Mediative structures
- Waiting to excel : from belief, practices, and structures to the pedagogy of confidence.
- Publisher's Summary
- In her new book, prominent professional developer Yvette Jackson focuses on students' strengths, rather than their weaknesses, to reinvigorate educators to inspire learning and high intellectual performance. Through the lens of educational psychology and historical reforms, Jackson responds to the faltering motivation and confidence of educators in terms of its effects on closing the achievement gap. The author seeks to rekindle the belief in the vast capacity of underachieving urban students, and offers strategies to help educators inspire intellectual performance. Jackson proposes that a paradigm shift towards a focus on strengths will reinvigorate educators passion for teaching and belief in their ability to raise the intellectual achievement of their students. Jackson addresses how educators can systematically support the development of motivation, reflective and cognitive skills, and high performance when standards and assessments are predisposed to non-conceptual methods. Furthermore, she examines challenges and offers strategies for dealing with cultural disconnects, the influence of new technologies, and language preferences of students.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- 9780807752241 (hardcover : alk. paper)
- 080775224X (hardcover : alk. paper)
- 9780807752234 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 0807752231 (pbk. : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: