Literacy achievement and diversity : keys to success for students, teachers, and schools
- Kathryn H. Au ; foreword by Patricia A. Edwards.
- New York : Teachers College Press, c2011.
- Physical description
- xvii, 174 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Multicultural education series (New York, N.Y.)
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB1576 .A88 2011||Unknown|
- Au, Kathryn H., 1947-
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 153-165) and index.
- Schooling, literacy, and cultural diversity in research and personal experience
- Social constructivism and the school literacy learning of students of diverse backgrounds
- Culturally responsive instruction : application to multiethnic classrooms
- If can, can : Hawai'i Creole Creole English and reading achievement
- Ownership, literacy achievement, and students of diverse cultural backgrounds
- Balanced literacy instruction : implications for students of diverse backgrounds
- Negotiating the slippery slope : school change and literacy achievement.
- Publisher's Summary
- Literacy Achievement and Diversity is the indispensable collection to the wisdom of respected literacy researcher Kathy Au. In this timely book, Au addresses the question of what educators can do to close the literacy achievement gap. She begins by outlining theory and research and then provides practical strategies to help teachers improve the literacy learning of students of diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds. The overall message of this book is that the literacy achievement gap can be closed by adhering to four, proven-effective keys to success: (1) recognizing that the solution must be multi-faceted, (2) providing students with ample instruction in higher level thinking with text, (3) building on the strengths that students bring from the home, and (4) pulling schools together as places where teachers can collaborate to reach a shared vision of excellence in literacy achievement.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Multicultural education series
- 9780807752074 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 080775207X (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 9780807752067 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 0807752061 (pbk. : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: