Natural learning for a connected world : education, technology, and the human brain
- Renate N. Caine, Geoffrey Caine ; foreword by Joseph Chilton Pearce.
- New York : Teachers College Press, c2011.
- Physical description
- xiv, 240 p. : ill. ; 26 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
LB1060 .C334 2011
- Unknown LB1060 .C334 2011
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 217-229) and index.
- Who and what are educating our children?
- How is technology impacting the world of traditional education?
- What are the powerful beliefs about learning and teaching that keep education frozen in place?
- What do students need in order to successfully prepare for the future?
- The perception/action dynamic : the foundation for learning from life
- The science behind the perception/action cycle
- Perception/action learning
- Goals and outcomes : building rich neural networks requires real-world knowledge
- Side by side : traditional and perception/action learning
- Motivation : the engine that drives perception/action learning
- The optimal state of mind for learning
- How the system engages the low road
- Working with biological predispositions
- How a village, school, and society teach
- Implementing the guided experience approach : the three critical elements
- Relaxed alertness
- Orchestrated immersion
- Active processing
- Window into tomorrow.
- Publisher's Summary
- Why do video games fascinate kids so much that they will spend hours pursuing a difficult skill? Why dont they apply this kind of intensity to their school work? In their most penetrating and important work in years, these two leaders in the field of brain-based education build a bridge to the future of education with a dynamic model of teaching that works for all grade levels and in all cultural and ethnic groups. The authors education model, the Guided Experience Approach, is based on the way that biologists see learning as a totally natural, continuous interaction between perception and action. Natural Learning for a Connected World provides a practical, step-by-step description and successful examples from practice of this perception action cycle so that we can finally provide the learning environments essential for our children to thrive in the knowledge age.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- 9780807751909 (hardcover : alk. paper)
- 0807751901 (hardcover : alk. paper)
- 9780807751893 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 0807751898 (pbk. : alk. paper)