The end of energy : the unmaking of America's environment, security, and independence
- Michael J. Graetz.
- Cambridge, Mass. : MIT Press, c2011.
- Physical description
- x, 369 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Graetz, Michael J.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -253) and index.
- A "new economic policy"
- Losing control over oil
- The environment moves front and center
- No more nuclear
- The changing face of coal
- Natural gas and the ability to price
- The quest for alternatives and to conserve-- A crisis of confidence
- The end of an era
- Climate change, a game changer
- Shock to trance : the power of price
- The invisible hand? regulation and the rise of cap and trade
- Government for the people? Congress and the road to reform
- Disaster in the Gulf.
- Publisher's Summary
- Americans take for granted that when we flip a switch the light will go on, when we turn up the thermostat the room will get warm, and when we pull up to the pump gas will be plentiful and relatively cheap. In The End of Energy, Michael Graetz shows us that we have been living an energy delusion for forty years. Until the 1970s, we produced domestically all the oil we needed to run our power plants, heat our homes, and fuel our cars. Since then, we have had to import most of the oil we use, much of it from the Middle East. And we rely on an even dirtier fuel -- coal -- to produce half of our electricity. Graetz describes more than forty years of energy policy incompetence and argues that we must make better decisions for our energy future. Despite thousands of pages of energy legislation since the 1970s (passed by a Congress that tended to elevate narrow parochial interests over our national goals), Americans have never been asked to pay a price that reflects the real cost of the energy they consume. Until Americans face the facts about price, our energy incompetence will continue -- and along with it the unraveling of our environment, security, and independence.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780262015677 20160603
- Publication date
- 9780262015677 (hbk.)
- 0262015676 (hbk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: