Re-engaging disconnected youth : transformative learning through restorative and social justice education
LC46.5 .M6 B56 2011
- Unknown LC46.5 .M6 B56 2011
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -157) and index.
- Heading West: hands-on learning and outdoor education increases student motivation
- Restoring community: the impact of restorative justice circles on student feelings of connectedness
- Multicultural education and human rights education: transforming ideas about history, racial identity, and service.
- Publisher's Summary
- As many young adults continue to disengage with learning each day, teachers and administrators struggle to find programming that re-engages secondary students with their schooling and communities. This book profiles one program that succeeds in doing so, and should serve as a model for others. In a Midwestern alternative school, three teachers built a curriculum around hands-on learning, restorative justice Talking Circles, and multicultural education, in the hopes that it would re-engage and inspire youth. Drawing on adult transformative learning theory, this book is an in-depth, qualitative study of the ways the program transformed adult and youth perceptions of trust, connections, schooling, and human rights. This book breaks down stereotypes about youth labeled at-risk and provides evidence that it is never too late to become passionate about learning.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- United States > Territorial expansion > Study and teaching (Secondary)
- Alternative education > Minnesota > Case studies.
- Outdoor education > Minnesota > Case studies.
- Experiential learning > Minnesota > Case studies.
- Motivation in education > Minnesota > Case studies.
- Summer schools > Minnesota > Case studies.
- Social justice > Study and teaching (Secondary) > Minnesota > Case studies.
- Publication date
- Amy Vatne Bintliff.
- Adolescent cultures, school & society, 1091-1464 ; v. 51
- 9781433110054 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 1433110059 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 9781433110047 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 1433110040 (pbk. : alk. paper)