From command to community : a new approach to leadership education in colleges and universities
- edited by Nicholas V. Longo & Cynthia M. Gibson.
- Medford, Mass. : Tufts University Press ; Hanover [N.H.] : University Press of New England, c2011.
- Physical description
- ix, 277 p. : ill. ; 25 cm.
- Civil society.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|HM781 .F76 2011||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Courage for the tough questions: leadership and adaptive learning / Alma G. Blount
- The potential of service-learning student leadership / Edward Zlotkowski, Katelyn Horowitz, and Sarah Benson
- The civic engagement movement and the democratization of the academy / Matthew Hartley and Ira Harkavy
- Public and community-based leadership education / Kathleen Knight Abowitz, Stephanie Raill Jayanandhan, and Sarah Woiteshek
- No one leads alone: making leadership a common experience / Kathy Postel Kretman
- Educating for democratic leadership at Stanford, UMass, and Providence College / Tania Mitchell ... [et al.]
- Civic leadership and public achievement at the University of Denver's Center for Community Engagement and Service Learning / Sarah McCauley ... [et al.]
- Assessing the effects of institutional culture on leadership education at Tufts University / Elizabeth Hollander ... [et al.]
- Community colleges returning home: community institutions for community leadership / Decker Ngongang
- Exploring leadership through international education: civic learning through study abroad in Uganda / Adam Weinberg, Rebecca Hovey, and Carol Bellamy
- The role of higher education in public leadership / Paul C. Light
- Organizing 101: lessons I wish I'd learned on campus / Stephen Smith
- Conclusion / Cynthia M. Gibson and Nicholas V. Longo.
- Publisher's Summary
- The essays in this volume address the idea of leadership education through civic engagement. They delineate a new approach to leadership education reflecting important cultural trends driven by technology, globalization, and demographic shifts; look at some of the best leadership education programs nationwide; and offer "next steps" on how to transform higher education more broadly.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781611680232 20160605
- Publication date
- Civil society: historical and contemporary perspectives
- 9781611680232 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 1611680239 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 9781584659709 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 158465970X (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 9781611680140 (e-book)
- 161168014X (e-book)
Browse related items
Start at call number: