What does understanding mathematics mean for teachers? : relationship as a metaphor for knowing
- Yuichi Handa.
- New York : Routledge, 2011.
- Physical description
- xiii, 149 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Studies in curriculum theory.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|QA12 .H36 2011||Unknown|
- Handa, Yuichi.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -145) and index.
- Preface Acknowledgments 1: Introduction to a Phenomenon 1.9: A Tangent Prior to the Rise (and Run) 2: Relationship As Reciprocity: Grace 3: A Bringing Forth Of Self: Will 4: Relationship as Interest 5: "Doing" Mathematics and Its Relation to the Life Path of Being a Mathematics Teacher/Educator An Epilogue in Two Parts Part 1: Returning to the Episode of the Straitjacket Part 2: Relationship as a Returning: Going Past "Understanding" Appendix: A Narrativized "Methodology" References.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780415885973 20160605
- Publisher's Summary
- This book opens up alternative ways of thinking and talking about ways in which a person can "know" a subject (in this case, mathematics), leading to a reconsideration of what it may mean to be a teacher of that subject. In a number of European languages, a distinction is made in ways of knowing that in the English language is collapsed into the singular word know. In French, for example, to know in the savoir sense is to know things, facts, names, how and why things work, and so on, whereas to know in the connaitre sense is to know a person, a place, or even a thing-namely, an other- in such a way that one is familiar with, or in relationship with this other. Primarily through phenomenological reflection with a touch of empirical input, this book fleshes out an image for what a person's connaitre knowing of mathematics might mean, turning to mathematics teachers and teacher educators to help clarify this image.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780415885973 20160605
- Publication date
- Studies in curriculum theory
- 9780415885973 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 0415885973 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 9780203837436 (ebk.)
- 0203837436 (ebk.)
Acquired with support from
Browse related items
Start at call number: