Researching Chinese learners : skills, perceptions and intercultural adaptations
- edited by Lixian Jin and Martin Cortazzi.
- Basingstoke, Hampshire, UK ; New York : Palgrave Macmillan, 2011.
- Physical description
- xix, 321 p. : ill. ; 23 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
PE1130 .C4 R47 2011
- Unknown PE1130 .C4 R47 2011
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Figures Tables Diagrams Appendices Acknowledgements Notes On Contributors Introduction: Contexts for Researching Chinese Learners-- L.Jin & M.Cortazzi PART I: DEVELOPING TEACHING AND LEARNING IN CHINA Rote Learning in Chinese Culture: Reflecting Active Confucian-Based Memory Strategies-- X.Li & J.Cutting Cantonese and English Bodies do Talk: A Cross-Cultural, Metaphor-Metonymy Study on Body-Part Idioms-- D.Chung-Hong Leung & P.Crisp More Than a Journey: 'Learning' in the Metaphors of Chinese Students and Teachers-- L.Jin & M.Cortazzi Meeting in the Middle? Intercultural Adaptation in Tertiary Oral English in China-- P.Stanley Reticience and Anxiety in Oral English Lessons: A Case Study in China-- M.Liu & J.Jackson Intercultural Competence and EFL Teaching in China-- Y.Zhou, S.Xu & J.Bayley PART II: INTERCULTURAL ADAPTATION: CHINESE LEARNERS IN INTERNATIONAL CONTEXTS Cultures of Learning and Student Participation: Chinese Learners in a Multicultural English Class in Australia-- H.Parris-Kidd & J.Barnett Getting the Big Picture: A Longitudinal Study of Adaptation and Identity in a New Zealand University-- G.Skyrme & C.White An Emotional Journey of Change: The Case of Chinese Students in UK Higher Education-- Q.Gu Intercultural Adaptation of Chinese Postgraduate Students and their UK Tutors-- Y.Zhou, K.Topping & D.Jindal-Snape Intercultural Adaptation -- It is a Two Way Process: Examples from a British MBA Programme-- T.Zhao & J.Bourne Adapting to Western Norms of Critical Argumentation and Debate-- K.Durkin Different Waves Crashing into Different Coastlines? Chinese Learners Doing Postgraduate Dissertations in the UK-- N.Pilcher, M.Cortazzi & L.Jin Conclusions: What Are We Learning From Research About Chinese Learners? L.Jin & M.Cortazzi Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- This collection focuses on Chinese learners with original data sets using innovative research methods. It investigates Chinese learners' learning and language skills, perceptions and particularly the processes of reciprocal intercultural adaptations in a wide international context of Australia, Canada, China, Hong Kong, New Zealand and the UK.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- 9780230243880 (hbk.)
- 0230243886 (hbk.)