Freedom at work : language, professional, and intellectual development in schools
- Maria E. Torres-Guzmán with Ruth Swinney.
- Boulder, CO : Paradigm Publishers, 2009.
- Physical description
- vii, 190 p. ; 24 cm.
- Series in critical narratives.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB1731 .T63 2009||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Acknowledgments Chapter 1 Enmarcando/An Introduction Part One: Language Development as Freedom Chapter 2 Language and Culture from the Periphery to the Center Chapter 3 Negotiating Language Part Two: Professional Development as Freedom Chapter 4 The Professional Development Plan Chapter 5 The Many Benefits of Group Study Chapter 6 The Synergy of Collaboration Chapter 7 Teaching as Social Practice Part Three: Intellectual Development as Freedom Chapter 8 Teachers Speak Chapter 9 Other Theories of Development as Freedom Chapter 10 One Principal's Perspective Chapter 11 My Perspective Chapter 12 Conclusions: Openings for Future Freedoms Index About the Author.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781594517006 20160605
- Publisher's Summary
- This book explores the freedom to use the language resources we have at our disposal to learn to our fullest, to engage in inquiry about learning and teaching, and to go beyond the surface in topics of schooling and education. Within a particular school context, the author explores how these freedoms came into being, how they took shape, and what they meant for the individuals involved. She shows that the individual and social freedoms in which the teacher and the learner operate within schools are important measures and outcomes of intellectual development. In connecting language, culture, learning, and intellectual development as freedoms in her own life, the author explores a new way of seeing the role of multiple languages in education and the freedom to learn.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781594517006 20160605
- Publication date
- Title Variation
- Language, professional, and intellectual development in schools
- Series in critical narratives
- 1594516995 (hardcover : alk. paper)
- 9781594516993 (hardcover : alk. paper)
- 1594517002 (paper)
- 9781594517006 (paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: