The power of one : how you can help or harm African American students
- Thompson, Gail L., 1957-
- Thousand Oaks, Calif. : Corwin, c2010.
- Physical description
- viii, 188 p. ; 26 cm.
LC2717 .T49 2010
- Unknown LC2717 .T49 2010
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Acknowledgments About the Author Introduction: Why Alarm Bells Should Be Ringing in Our Heads Part 1. Beliefs, Mind Sets, and Baggage 1. Identifying the Personal Benefits of Increasing Your Efficacy With African American Students 2. That Baggage Is Too Heavy: Uncovering Negative Mind Sets That Can Undermine Your Work With African American Students 3. "You Can't Help but Talk About Race": Examining Your Beliefs About Racism and Racial Problems 4. "To Be Honest, I Can't Stand His Mama": Facing Your Personal Issues About the Parents of African American Students Part II. The Curriculum, Classroom Management, and Testing 5. A Hard Knock Life: How Teachers Can Use the Curriculum to Empower African American Students 6. Only the Strong Survive: Dealing With Roadblocks to Effective Classroom Management 7. Using Wisdom in Assessing Students in Spite of the High-Stakes-Testing Mania 8. Learning From Classroom Scenarios and Other Problems That Concern Educators Conclusion: A Work in Progress: Committing to Ongoing Personal and Professional Development Appendix References Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- This reader-friendly, interactive staff development resource is designed to help teachers deal with some of the main barriers-particularly 'mental baggage' - that impede their progress with African American students. "The Power of One" underscores an important point about intrinsic motivation that is frequently neglected in the equity literature - that teachers will personally benefit from increasing their efficacy with students of colour. The author skillfully blends compelling first-person narratives, personal growth exercises, and informational text in a manner that engages both hearts and minds.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Gail L. Thompson.
- 9781412976763 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 1412976766 (pbk. : alk. paper)