Culture, communication, and cyberspace : rethinking technical communication for international online environments
- edited by Kirk St. Amant and Filipp Sapienza.
- Amityville, N.Y. : Baywood Pub. Co., c2011.
- Physical description
- vi, 258 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Baywood's technical communications series (Unnumbered)
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Publisher's Summary
- The increasingly global nature of the World Wide Web presents new challenges and opportunities for technical communicators who must develop content for clients or colleagues from other cultures and in other nations. As international online access grows, technical communicators will encounter a range of challenges related to culture and communication in cyberspace. These challenges include how to design content and develop services for online distribution to a culturally diverse audience of users; how to address cultural and linguistic factors effectively when collaborating with international colleagues and clients via online media; and how to develop effective online teaching and training practices and materials for use in learning environments comprised of culturally diverse groups of students. The contributors to Culture, Communication and Cyberspace examine these challenges through chapters that explore the different aspects of international online communication. The contributing authors use a range of methodologies to review a variety of topics related to culture and communication in cyberspace. In so doing, the authors also examine how business trends, such as international outsourcing, content management, and the use of open source software (OSS), are affecting and could change practices in the field of technical communication as related to online cross-cultural interactions.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780895033987 20160602
- Publication date
- Baywood's technical communications series
- 9780895033987 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 0895033984 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 9780895034120 (epub)
- 0895034123 (epub)
- 9780895034137 (epdf)
- 0895034131 (epdf)
Browse related items
Start at call number: