Student relevance matters : why do I have to know this stuff?
- Mickey Kolis.
- Lanham, Md. : Rowman & Littlefield Education, c2011.
- Physical description
- xiii, 143 p. : ill. ; 23 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
LB1570 .K626 2011
- Unknown LB1570 .K626 2011
- Kolis, Mickey, 1954-
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 137) and index.
- Foreword Preface Acknowledgements Section 1 And the point of schooling is? A systems perspective Chapter 1 Facts-based instruction - Why it seems to work Chapter 2 Generally accepted patterns and outcomes of facts-based instruction Chapter 3 A skeptics' view of facts-based instruction Chapter 4 Generally ignored patterns and outcomes of facts-based instruction Section 2 Purposes defined Chapter 5 Why purpose is important Chapter 6 The Purpose of Language Arts Chapter 7 The Purpose of Social Studies Chapter 8 The Purpose of Science Chapter 9 The Purpose of Mathematics Chapter 10 The Purpose of Health and Physical Education Chapter 11 The Purpose of Art Chapter 12 The Purpose of Music Chapter 13 The Purpose of Vocational Education Chapter 14 The Purpose of Foreign Language Chapter 15 All together Section 3 Purposes in the classroom Chapter 16 Knowledge needed Chapter 17 Roles Chapter 18 Compelling why Section 4 Conclusion.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Classrooms are systems, schools are systems, and schooling in the United States is a big system. Changing any of those systems requires an awareness of how they work; what they produce; and where to apply time, energy, and resources. Current systems could be much better in meeting students' current and future needs. Student Relevance Matters: Why Do I Have to Know this Stuff? aims to clarify the most intrinsic reasons to learn, thereby bridging the gap between content and meeting student needs. This allows for compelling visions, and visions are the seed of learning. This book describes current classrooms, students, and the relationships between them through systems viewpoints-one positive and the other skeptical that they are working as effectively as they might. Each content area is viewed through a lens of deep purpose and how that meets students' needs in timeframes that work best for students. Using those purposes as lenses, knowledge areas are redefined and skills provided to help make those purposes a reality in classrooms today.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- 9781607099154 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 1607099152 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 9781607099161 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 1607099160 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 9781607099178 (ebk.)
- 1607099179 (ebk.)