Culture, relevance, and schooling : exploring uncommon ground
- edited by Lisa Scherff and Karen Spector.
- Lanham, Md. : Rowman & Littlefield Education, c2011.
- Physical description
- xiii, 161 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LC191.4 .C84 2011||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Chapter 1 Foreword: The Legitimacy of Culturally Relevant Pedagogy: Resolved or Unresolved Chapter 2 Acknowledgments Chapter 3 Spatial, Embodied, and Discursive Boundaries: An Introduction Chapter 4 Opening Vignette: Making Culture Visible through Experience and Understanding Chapter 5 1. Collective Cultural Relevancy through Hybrid Communities of Practice Chapter 6 2. Seeing Relevance: Using Photography to Understand How School, Curricula, and Pedagogies Matter to Urban Youth Chapter 7 3. Expanding Notions of Culturally Responsive Education with Urban Native Youth: Culturally Relevant Pedagogy for Equity and Social Justice Chapter 8 4. Weaving Spiritualities into Culturally Responsive Pedagogies Chapter 9 5. Staying Fat: Moving Past the Exercise-Industrial Complex Chapter 10 6. Putting "Culturally Relevant" into Professional Development Chapter 11 7. Overcoming (Under)lying Assumptions: Approaching Language Education from a Freirean Perspective.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- In Culture, Relevance, and Schooling: Exploring Uncommon Ground, Lisa Scherff, Karen Spector, and the contributing authors conceive of culturally relevant and critically minded pedagogies in terms of opening up new spatial, discursive, and/or embodied learning terrains. Readers will traverse multiple landscapes and look into a variety of spaces where attempts to tear down or build up pedagogical borders based upon socially-just design are underway. In disciplines ranging from elementary science, to high school English, to college kinesiology, the contributors to this volume describe their attempts to remake schooling in ways that bring hope and dignity to their participants.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- 9781607098881 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 1607098881 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 9781607098898 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 160709889X (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 9781607098904 (electronic)
- 1607098903 (electronic)
Browse related items
Start at call number: